Home Forum Ask A Member 2953 evinrude 15hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Jack Strobel
    Participant

US Member

I am a new member and I have a 1953 evinrude 15hp with issues. How do I contact people that can help? Thanks

Jack Strobel

John is my sir name and was on my card when I signed up!

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

I am a new member and I have a 1953 evinrude 15hp with issues. How do I contact people that can help? Thanks

“I think you just did”, but it would help if you state your
        outboard’s problems, and what you’ve done to it,
        or are you looking for someone to fix it for you?

Prepare to be boarded!

labrador-guy
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

John that ’53 super fastwin was the start of some of the best outboard motors ever made.   They are not hard to work on and parts are available.  It probably needs coils, it probably need an impeller and lots of cleaning.  JMHO

dale

Jack Strobel
          Participant

US Member

One coil gave a spark the other the pin was rusted an I poured a little evaporator in the hole and it cleaned up the rust and now that is ok! Condensers are good (bought a meter for that) I ordered an upper crank seal to install before I put ignition plate back on. It shifts fine but lower unit was clean oil with water in it! Tried pressure test and it won’t hold ANY air, oh and impeller looked good!

Jack Strobel

Jack Strobel
            Participant

US Member

Evaporust

Jack Strobel

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

low voltatge ( VOM style)  condenser testing may not be indicative of a good condenser at high volrages so just keep that is mind if poblems develop .

https://wrcoutboards.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Part2_Condenser_Testers_And_Testing_Correctly.pdf

the basic test circuit below  can help.

then this little  guitar cap test box  is apparently pretty good and  portable. it uses a 9 volt battery  with a  voltage booster and simple “go – no go idiot light”  to test to leakage..  it basically  works like the test box  M.Mohat  explains in his doc.

CLT Model 3G Capacitor Leakage Tester Guitar Amp repair Fender Marshall Vox + | eBay

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Jack Strobel
                Participant

US Member

Thanks for that help! I also have the lower unit apart and am looking to find part #s for my motor (53 fastwin 15hp)

right now I’m looking for a # for a lower unit seal kit.

Jack Strobel

Steve D
                  Participant

Here’s the Gearcase page and a cutaway. I’ll post a link for the whole parts manual soon in pdf format…the file’s a little too big to post here.

53_15HP-pg10-Gearcase
                    Evinrude-Super-Fastwin-15012-Cutaway

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    Steve D
                    Participant

1953-1954 Evinrude 15HP Super Fastwin Parts Manual link good to download for 7 days…

https://we.tl/t-oFw337RjA0

Others know who make up seal kits for this motor. If you had to buy individual pieces, driveshaft seal 41A62 is 321788.

And prop shaft seal 302495 is also SKF 6280 on ebay right now for under $20.

Jack Strobel
                      Participant

US Member

1953-1954 Evinrude 15HP Super Fastwin Parts Manual link good to download for 7 days…

https://we.tl/t-oFw337RjA0

Others know who make up seal kits for this motor. If you had to buy individual pieces, driveshaft seal 41A62 is 321788.

And prop shaft seal 302495 is also SKF 6280 on ebay right now for under $20.

Thanks again!

couldn’t find on eBay, it has a spaghetti seal and I wonder if those that have it might be worth a try? They say they are for 18hp an up models?

the meter I used to test the condensers measured microferrits and ohms. Think I’m getting bitten by this vintage motor bug pretty bad!

Jack Strobel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.