Home Forum Ask A Member 2953 evinrude 15hp

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    oldlure
    Participant

US Member

What is a 2953 in your title?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Steve D
      Participant

My guess is just a typo that should have been “1”

John, If you’re referring to seal kits that say 18 HP and up, everything in them will work for your 15 except for the prop shaft seal. I think late ’57 and into ’58, 18 horse changed to a smaller O.D. seal that would be too small for the 15 prop head. That’s why I mentioned the guys who can make up a kit because I think for the most part the members who do that know what seal you’ll need with the ’53 15 HP.

The other options you have are buying the kit from ebay and also buy the the SKF 6280.

Or get the kit for the 18, and use that smaller seal with a reducer bushing. There is a member who used to make them and as of a couple months ago I thought he mentioned on here he still had a few. His name is Ben, OldJohnnyRude on YouTube and fisherman6 on here. Maybe he’ll see this and confirm whether he still has some.

302495-SKF-6280-and-smaller-seal-with-reducer-bushing

Jack Strobel
        Participant

US Member

Thanks, great info! I’ve watched several of Ben’s videos,

Seems I would have to purchase the “we”app” to open parts file.

good info, going to order the kit for lower unit and I can get a separate seal from the marine outlet in Brandon Vt.  ($$$$$) if I knew how to contact whoever has the sleeves that would be helpful!
          thanks guys

Jack Strobel

John is my sir name and was on my card when I signed up!

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

have  you measured your seals and  checked out all the SKF  sizes. On one engine I replaced the 303345 seals on the propr shaft  with success using skf seals back to back

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Steve D
            Participant

“Seems I would have to purchase the “we”app” to open parts file. If I knew how to contact whoever has the sleeves that would be helpful!”

Hey John, No need to purchase the we app, just click on the Agree button and that will open the Download page.

The link below is the discussion a couple months ago when Ben said he still had some. Scroll down a little and you’ll see his post, “fisherman6” and just click on his name and it will take you to his page where you can send a private message to him.

https://www.aomci.org/forums/topic/early-1957-evinrude-18-prop-seals/

we-agree-and-download

Jack Strobel
              Participant

US Member

Good stuff, thanks

first things first, received upper crank oil seal, looks like press carbon (brittle?) and am asking what is the best way to get it out without the tool ($50)? I got it from Marine engine in Vt. They also sent me 2 brings to replace. Are they easy to get at? And replace! Was thinking of using a tiny drill bit to make 2 holes and screw down 2 fine threaded screws and see how that goes. Will be extremely careful as to not scratch the shaft!

Jack Strobel

Steve D
                Participant

Never heard of a tool for those carbon seals, or drilling through them. I’ve always just used dental picks in the 2 rounded notches/cutouts in the carbon seal with a gentle back and forth and slight upward motion, with a drop or two of oil/WD40 to free things up a bit. I know they’re brittle so go easy and take your time. What do you mean they sent you 2 brings?? Do you mean 2 O-rings? A new O-ring sits in the recess of the I.D. of the carbon seal.

I sometimes like to poke the O-ring with the dental picks first and try to free that up first before trying to bring the whole thing up. Once you get that loosened up and rotating around the shaft a little, then try a light upward motion. This will help avoid breaking the brittle carbon seal. Sometimes even being careful, you can break that seal.

If guys have other ways of doing it, I’m open to learning about them.

Jack Strobel
                  Participant

US Member

One question, re: new carbon seal. It seems like it will fall in there easily with the o ring inside of it. I was sent another o ring tha looks like it will fit the outside of the carbon seal. Does it go under or over the seal? Help!! Thanks

Jack Strobel

Steve D
                    Participant

You only need the one that fits inside the carbon seal. See the parts diagram. Also be careful re-installing. New ones can break too. Don’t know why they sent a 2nd, larger o-ring. Maybe they sent you an upper bearing o-ring too?

53_15HPpg5

jeff-register
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

John,

Be careful where you get parts. Sadly there are some who will take advantage of us so Shop around before buying please.

P.S. I had 2 Super Fastwins & loved them, easy starting, smooth  & good on gas. Mix a 5 gallon can with one quart of good 2 stroke oil to 5 gallons of gas to keep a constant fuel mix. I bought a complete rebuild kit & forgot I had it then sold my last one.  I have many new OMC parts for your motor. I am in a wheelchair & need help getting it off the shelf buy I will have help here in the next few days. E mail me at Jeff.50@cox.net. I’ll never use them because of covid so very good deal for you. I just want them to be used helping others. I don’t have coils or condensors, sorry.Print the page shown to have part numbers so I can match correctly please.

Jeff

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.