Home Forum Ask A Member 2953 evinrude 15hp

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Jack Strobel
    Participant

US Member

Steve, they sent me # 11???

Jack Strobel

John is my sir name and was on my card when I signed up!

joecb
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

John,  it sounds like you are well on the road to success with that motor. On line help is good but in-person help is better… where are you located? Have you hooked- up with a local chapter? attend a local chapter meet / swap and sell… lots of help and parts

Joe B

Steve D
        Participant

If that larger o-ring actually is #11 it can’t be accessed anyway unless the block is apart. At least they sent you a correct one for the job you’re doing now.

Jack Strobel
          Participant

US Member

Joe, thanks – I have been contacted by Mike Glen from my local area and he gave me some names and #s

Steve, that carbon seal scares me? What would be a safe way to tap it in? Do the 2 recesses go down? Should I lube it (saw perm aviation sealant on you tube)

thanks

Jack Strobel

labrador-guy
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

John, you don’t tap the carbon seal into anything! 

Joe, thanks – I have been contacted by Mike Glen from my local area and he gave me some names and #s

Steve, that carbon seal scares me? What would be a safe way to tap it in? Do the 2 recesses go down? Should I lube it (saw perm aviation sealant on you tube)

thanks

The spring under the point cam presses it to the edge of the top bearing.  The “O” ring spins with the crankshaft and the carbon seal.  Look it over close you will see how it is supposed to work.

dale

Steve D
              Participant

“What would be a safe way to tap it in? Do the 2 recesses go down? Should I lube it (saw perm aviation sealant on you tube)”

No sealant required anywhere for this, notches up, machined side down, lightly lube I.D. of o-ring to help fit over crank, don’t tap as Dale said, some guys use a piece of pvc exact size as carbon seal so even pressure is applied all the way around to avoid breakage, then gently push down.

Jack Strobel
                Participant

US Member
                  Thanks, good stuff

Jack Strobel

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.