Home Forum Ask A Member 33hp skitwin, intermittent miss

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    vtfireman85
    Participant

So I’m out on the lake first time with my 66’ ski twin, it’s got an intermittent misstated both high and low speed. Seems to run well otherwise. Fresh carb rebuild, maiden voyage. It acts like a lean low speed jet would with it set too lean. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. When your going alone it just chugs for just a second. Every 30 seconds to 1 min. Seems to be unrelated to engine load or rpm.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I’d say it is a classic worn out clutch dog symptom. Except you say it happens at any speed. But still…

Put your hand on the shifter lever and see if it jumps when it skips. If it does, no doubt about it, clutch dog.

vtfireman85
        Participant
          quote FrankR:

I’d say it is a classic worn out clutch dog symptom. Except you say it happens at any speed. But still…

Put your hand on the shifter lever and see if it jumps when it skips. If it does, no doubt about it, clutch dog.

I thought that, it does it regardless of shifter position next step was to unhook the shift cable and try it

vtfireman85
          Participant

Also as a side note I don’t notice it in reverse but it chugs in neutral too.

vtfireman85
            Participant

Also as a side note I don’t notice it no m reverse but it chugs in neutral too.

bobw
              Participant

US Member

could be an intermittent ignition miss. Have you checked points, plugs, plug wires?

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

vtfireman85
                Participant
                  quote bobw:

could be an intermittent ignition miss. Have you checked points, plugs, plug wires?

new points condensers and coils, same wires, they looked really good, who knows though

vtfireman85
                  Participant
                    quote vtfireman85:

quote FrankR:

I thought that, it does it regardless of shifter position next step was to unhook the shift cable and try it

can you elaborate on the clutch dog? wheres it located and what does it do? I have had them apart but am unfamiliar with the term.

bobw
                    Participant

US Member

The clutch dog is located in the lower unit gearcase. It’s the shifting device that moves back or forward along the prop shaft to engage the forward or reverse drive gear. The clutch dog has "ears’ on it that engages the drive gears and over time, the ears can be worn down to the point the gears slip and grab when under load. See picture enclosed – yours may not look exactly like this one but you can see the ears.

If you replaced all the ignition parts, you should have replaced the wires as well. Considering those may be the original wires, they are over 50 years old and may have cracks that allow spark to go to ground. Try running the motor in the dark and look for wire arcing. Also check where the wires come out of the magneto plate to see if the wires are chafed – you may see a burn mark on the mag plate.

Attachments:

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                      1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

vtfireman85
                      Participant

ill have to open it up when I get home to check on that

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.