Home Forum Ask A Member 33hp skitwin, intermittent miss

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

Matter of fact, they can be turned around. One gear has a pressed-in bushing. Press it out and back into the other one.

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Short story,
        I recently had a motor that I replaced a complete new set of gears, including the pinion gear and clutch dog. It would shift into forward, neutral and reverse on the bench with not a single effing issue, installed gear case on the tower, again, shifted with zero issues. Put in test tank, shift to neutral revved up just fine, idle it down go into reverse wonderful…. Shift back into forward gear……………………………………….
        Nothing, prop will NOT spin.

Checked the adjustment on the side, go thru the same process one more time, and then I spotted it.

That brass connector that connected the 2 halves of the shift rod, while tightly grabbing the one end of rod, it did not hold the other so it allowed the linkage to move. Made me very angry until I found it… I would still swear to this day that the screws in that coupler were holding…. I found it when I looked thru the port and saw the rod moving independently of the coupler…

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

vtfireman85
        Participant
          quote Richard A. White:

Short story,
          I recently had a motor that I replaced a complete new set of gears, including the pinion gear and clutch dog. It would shift into forward, neutral and reverse on the bench with not a single effing issue, installed gear case on the tower, again, shifted with zero issues. Put in test tank, shift to neutral revved up just fine, idle it down go into reverse wonderful…. Shift back into forward gear……………………………………….
          Nothing, prop will NOT spin.

Checked the adjustment on the side, go thru the same process one more time, and then I spotted it.

That brass connector that connected the 2 halves of the shift rod, while tightly grabbing the one end of rod, it did not hold the other so it allowed the linkage to move. Made me very angry until I found it… I would still swear to this day that the screws in that coupler were holding…. I found it when I looked thru the port and saw the rod moving independently of the coupler…

That kind of stuff will make you crazy, I like a good challenge but sometimes it’s mice when stuff goes back together correctly.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.