Home Forum Ask A Member ‘62 5.5 evinrude

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    scottshea
    Participant

Thanks Gary for the schematic. Very helpful. Fleetwin I took it to Lindenhurst outboard. They’ve been a prominent shop here for a long time. I was able to get my parts there no issues and like I said I can understand why it may have not had much time invested on it. The lower gear oil was very old looking. It appeared to be separating which I’m not sure if that is a sign of water or not. A lot of time elapsed since it was changed. I did a mineral spirits flush on the lower gear case and then replaced it with fresh lower gear oil. I would assume if water was in the gear case it would have been a block of iron oxide by the time I got to it. Last time it got wet was hurricane sandy when it was in the garage on its stand. Again salt water let’s you know when it’s present where it’s not supposed to be rather quickly. At this stage I’m going to assume the lower gear case is tight. My guts saying I’m tearing that Pöwer head off again eventually. No big deal really. Since that gasket is new would I be able to reuse it? Or should I replace it?

scottshea
      Participant

Well ladies and Gentlemen, this summer is almost over and I finally have an answer. The shock absorber is my issue in my little 5.5.. Wonderful the parts not available. or should I say sparsely available. Anyhow, I am going to weld it. Does anyone have a final length this thing needs to be? Process i am reading about is clamping it together and welding it shut. If there is a better way I would like to hear it. I don’t want to over tighten it, I am thinking its not a super tight tolerance number but I do not want to ‘play’ this game any longer.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

try a search on this site it has been covered many times ….. my books are at the cottage 🙁

pretty certain I saw an OUTBOARDER article on welding it…..

somebody will chime in …

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

read this if any help
            viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15644&p=82629&hilit=shock+absorber#p82629

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

scottshea
            Participant

Thank you. Just got the replacement in the mail. It’s blue on the tip which I recall is a bad sign but, overall. Looks clean. Here hoping.

scottshea
              Participant

Just read the article and rushed to measure the replacement. Woohoo. Bought this one so I had an extra one Incase I wrecked the first and it measures the correct dimension. It’s not sprung and should be a viable replacement. Bad part will be welded. Thank you Crosbyman!! Thank you AOMCI members for all your help! See ya on the water!

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m glad you have pinpointed the problem. The guys at Lindenhurst Outboard are honest, but labor does not come cheap down there on the island…
                  So, I’m sure you are correct, they did not want to make a big investment of time/labor.

scottshea
                  Participant

Don’t want to speak poorly of them. They’ve been in business a long time. And these days it’s hard with the internet and all. Just wish they would’ve been more honest with the time elapsed and let me move on. This is how I learn. Next time I’ll have it wrapped up faster. I know this motor inside and out now. If not I’m sure someone here will be willing to pass on the knowledge Thanks again AOMCI!

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, Ralph should have intervened before things got out of hand….
                      It is tough when folks bring in older engines….Most of today’s techs don’t have much experience with older engines, so they can not diagnose or repair them efficiently. Many boatyards just turn away older engines, saying they are not worth the bother….I often interpret this as really saying "we don’t know what we are doing when it comes to older engines, so we will just pronounce them "junk"….
                      I usually offered to look at the older engines, but also realized that folks were not willing to spend much….Back in the day, I asked if they were willing to spend $200 (quite a bit back then), this let them know the engine could not be "overhauled" for $39.95….Needless to say, customers were thrilled if the problem was simply repaired for $50. But, on the other hand, we all know that one problem usually leads to another during repairs, and repair bills can get out of hand real quickly.
                      In the end, I was never afraid to admit that I did not have the needed experience with a particular engine, and was happy to recommend another shop that I felt was better suited for the job….

scottshea
                      Participant

Is Ralph an older gentleman? If so he has sold off the business and moved down south. The shop as seemed to migrate toward internet sales as a large part of revenue. They buy out old stock then sell it online. When I collected my motor I had to dig through a tray to get my linkage and cotter pins for the choke. When I couldn’t find the pin he just ran into his stockpile and threw me a new one. I could see the shop was messy, and that’s ok. Busy =mess. But losing the small pieces that are hard to replace is just sloppy work. That’s why I’ll probably not go back ever for any outboards.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.