Home Forum Ask A Member AOMCI registrations

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    labrador-guy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

h.Witten, this is an issue that needs to be addressed by this club. A 1950’s outboard is 68 years old this year. If that’s not an antique I don’t know what is! The motorcycles guys are alot bigger than us and their cut off line rolls over every year. This year the classic/antique break is around 1980. I reference the motorcycle guys because outboards were original motors from the french company DeDion Bouton, first used on bicycles then motorcycles on the wooden tracks. Some where around the begining of the 19th century Glen Curtiss built motors under license from DeDion Bouton sold them to Waterman to use on the first outboard. Enough history, maybe we need a third class, Antiques, preclassics, then classics?

Pick up a copy of "Motorcycle Classics" magazine sometime. The old board tracker cycles from 1910 look like our beloved Waterman only water cooled.

dale

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Sorry, should of said 20th century!

dale

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

The conundrum, is this… with rolling years, without truly separating the real antiques, and I mean the current 100 year old motors and such, you would end up with a 1960 Johnson being judged against a 1913 Evinrude, and with rolling years they would both be called "antique"

What I think is missed here, is these dates are for club purposes and judging at meets, so we DON"T have a 1960 Evinrude being judged beside a 1913 Evinrude for best original antique. But it seems some get frustrated because autos are considered antique after just 25 years. So using that criteria you would have your 1993 Johnson being judged with a 1913 Evinrude for all things antique…

Think about that for a minute… I understand the frustration, but as a club do we want a 1993 being judged as an antique against a 1913, or even a 1930…. the two motors almost no similarities……

It is a slippery slope indeed… Just trying to clarify what would happen if the club decides to roll the dates…. on the other hand, maybe pre-1950 should be considered Pre-Antique, then 1950- (set rolling date) be newly crowned "Antique"..

hmmmmm

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

brook-n
          Participant

I share Richard’s opinion on this from a judging stand point. As most of my motors fall into this situation being 75 to 100 plus years old.
            Some formal meets have a rowboat motor class that helps with that scenario. But I suppose that definition could be challenged as well.

Respectfully,

pm-t2
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

This item has come up numerous times.

Last time I participated to any extent in any such discussions was in 2006. I still have the transcripts of the posts from the old green board. I never throw anything out. Never know when it might come in handy. Copy and paste is a wonderful thing, eh?

Long and short – when I broached the subject, it didn’t go over well. I was accused of everything from being a power-hungry Chapter President, to trying to ruin the club, and that my main objective was to create more categories in order to pad my own collection of trophies and awards. People who would never dream of contacting me for motor advice were only too happy to dial me up to call me an ass. well, most of those guys are dead now, and I’m still going……. so be careful about calling me names!

Good luck with it, but it seems its one of them topics that gets talked about when something flares up, then quickly dies as soon as somebody posts about finding a classic OMC with original cracked coils and such……. just sayin’ 😉

oh yeah – the original question was merely asking for the difference between antiques and classics – I doubt he expected the bloody Spanish Inquisition, lol

Hope it helps.

Best, PM T2

20mercman
              Participant

US Member
                quote Richard A. White:

The conundrum, is this… with rolling years, without truly separating the real antiques, and I mean the current 100 year old motors and such, you would end up with a 1960 Johnson being judged against a 1913 Evinrude, and with rolling years they would both be called "antique"

What I think is missed here, is these dates are for club purposes and judging at meets, so we DON"T have a 1960 Evinrude being judged beside a 1913 Evinrude for best original antique. But it seems some get frustrated because autos are considered antique after just 25 years. So using that criteria you would have your 1993 Johnson being judged with a 1913 Evinrude for all things antique…

Think about that for a minute… I understand the frustration, but as a club do we want a 1993 being judged as an antique against a 1913, or even a 1930…. the two motors almost no similarities……

It is a slippery slope indeed… Just trying to clarify what would happen if the club decides to roll the dates…. on the other hand, maybe pre-1950 should be considered Pre-Antique, then 1950- (set rolling date) be newly crowned "Antique"..

hmmmmm

Richard, if you looked at my post with the 5 categories, you would see that you would never judge a 1913 Evinrude vs. a 1993 6hp. The classes I laid out are closely aligned with the what Gary was saying. All I want to express is that the club is now more than 50 years old, The motors that they considered antique at that time were only 15 years old. A 50 year old motor in 1965 was a 1915 rowboat motor. Just something to think about, not wanting to create drama, but things do change over time.

Steve

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

What I’ve learned from all this is that Chris Scratch has been trying to ruin the club for as long as I’ve been a member.

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

PugetSoundBoater
                  Participant

If so many of you feel the year cutoff for what makes it an antique or classic should change, could it not be put up to a vote?

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                    Robbie Robertson

pm-t2
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years
                      quote wbeaton:

What I’ve learned from all this is that Chris Scratch has been trying to ruin the club for as long as I’ve been a member.

appropriate response? Hmmmm… oh yeah…. I got it..

"And my plan would have worked too – if it weren’t for those kids and their dog"

lol

PM T2

punchbug
                      Participant

Some very interesting posts….different points of view. That being said I would like to add this fodder. As motor collectors/restorers there are two schools of thought. Do I restore to "original" condition or do I leave it absolutely original. That is the real question we all struggle with. If I keep it original is it the best original? If I restore to original is it the best restoration challenging the DuPont registry if I may be so bold! That is how they are judged are they not? My re-thinking (is that a word) is this. I agree that a rowboat motor should not be judged against a 1980’s motor but what if they are both restored? What if they are both original? I stand by my original posting…I think it should be a rolling year classification but create more classes…one for over 100 years old (pioneer) motors, one from 75-99 yrs old antigue, one one for 50-74 years old, classic, one for everything else call it the new wave. The best way to include new members is to include the motors they grew up with. A 40year old person may have bought a motor for his 18th bd. That motor is now 22 years old and the condition he has kept his baby is important to him. He is proud and he wants it judged why not include him. As he and his motor ages he can move to different classes and see how his motor stands up. Is that not the reason we care for these works of art. Nostagia and pride of ownership. The engineering advancements are important, but they advance every year some in small ways some in major changes. Look at the neptunes they made motors for decades that were virtually unchanged in their style at least. What really defines the motor…I believe it is age and like it or not it roles every year.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 41 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.