Home Forum Ask A Member AOMCI registrations

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    punchbug
    Participant

One last shot, this is a democratic club so why not put the two systems to a vote. Define the systems, post both and then have a vote, members only of course. I know it is the quickest way to piss off 49% of the membership but a decision needs to be made and who better to do that than the membership.

brook-n
      Participant
        quote wbeaton:

What I’ve learned from all this is that Chris Scratch has been trying to ruin the club for as long as I’ve been a member.

Not only is Chris trying to ruin the club, but he is killing people that call him up and call him names. Who knows what he might do if he had
        Sticks & Stones!!! LOL!!!!!!!

pm-t2
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

nah I don’t have to do anybody in… it’s just karma….. my contact with the Gambino family is just coincidental. <evil grin>…

PM T2

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No reason to get excited here we can talk listen and learn! Punchbug you bring up a good point. A row boat motor needs to be judged against a standard, for that particular motor. It should be judged at how close it comes to that standard. If there happens to be a Wizard in the same class it would be judged against a Wizard’s standard. Winner determined by inconsistencies to the standard. Kinda like a dog show, a beagle and a greyhound same class much different animal. They are judged and a winner is determined then all winners (from all classes) compete for best in show.

dale

westwind
            Participant

Canada Member
              quote Garry in Tampa:

In my opinion a lot depends on the motor and not the year. The very first outboards were "Row Boat Motors". Heavy sand cast monsters that were still better than rowing. A revolution in the early ’20s saw lighter faster motors which I call "Antiques". These still had the heavy sand cast Iron cylinders and some were built until 1951. Johnson started Die casting in the late ’30s and motors got lighter. The true change to the Classic happened when Johnson and Scott Atwater introduced the full F-N-R gear shift in 1950. In my opinion The next revolution happened when electronic ignition took over in the 1970s. I call these later motors Modern Classics. And yes – I am an Antique . . . 😆

If I understand it, now there are two classes, Antique and Classic. Perhaps a few more classes would be helpful as Garry suggests:
              Row Boat Motor
              Antique
              Classic
              Modern Classic with the rolling 30 yr age
              And then best in show, ie best of the best
              That aligns with many car/motorcycle show I’ve been to, original Model T doesn’t compete with a hot rod or Porsche etc

Opinions are like belly buttons…..

brook-n
              Participant
                quote labrador guy:

No reason to get excited here we can talk listen and learn! Punchbug you bring up a good point. A row boat motor needs to be judged against a standard, for that particular motor. It should be judged at how close it comes to that standard. If there happens to be a Wizard in the same class it would be judged against a Wizard’s standard. Winner determined by inconsistencies to the standard. Kinda like a dog show, a beagle and a greyhound same class much different animal. They are judged and a winner is determined then all winners (from all classes) compete for best in show.

dale

It’s all good, no one’s get excited. Just a little friendly ribbing. I like the added hockey mask Chris. As we have both learned over the years some of the
                chats certainly have needed the masks. Antiques/classics, oil, oil mix ratios, gearlube and the list goes on. LOL!!!!!

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I think we are putting too much thought into labels. To me they are all antiques. It seems silly to call a 60 year old motor a classic. It will be sillier still when they are 100 years old, which is the actual definition of antique. I don’t see why they can’t all be called antique after a certain age. However, if they are going to be judged then they should be judged by class or group. The car guys already have this all worked out. Why are we reinventing the wheel?

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

The Boat House
                  Participant

I don’t know where you got the idea the
                    the car guys have this all worked out. I
                    quit going to car shows because of all
                    the complaining about classes. You tell
                    these people you have just come to have
                    a good time and it doesn’t matter to you
                    but they just wont quit complaining. I
                    only go to cruises . No classes. No
                    complaining. The whole thing seems
                    pointless to me. The only show that had
                    it worker out was the one I went to where
                    the classes were by the year of manufacture.
                    1900 to 1919 – 1920 to 1929 – 1930 to 1939
                    and so on. Special interest was for the Rod’s
                    and Lead Sleds. 1948 and earlier,1949 and
                    later.
                    Every motor has a year of manufacture. That
                    cant be disputed.
                    Trying to segregate them in to different groups
                    a for what ever reason will never be agreeable
                    to everyone. I don’t see that changing.

brook-n
                    Participant

Growing up with a father that was heavily involved in car restoration & ran a large car show in the town we lived in back in the 80’s.
                      My father very early on had cars park where they wished much like a cruise night. Which turn out to be difficult
                      for judging as the judges were running all over the field trying to get it done in a timely manner. The following year it became much more
                      Structured. Model T’s were all together Model A’s were together. If it was car other than a T or an A it went into a class for 1920’s or 1930’s.
                      There were classes for muscle cars up to a certain year but it was rolling from year to year. It cut the judging time in half and most everyone
                      Liked the structure but there was always exceptions. My father is now 78 years old the six car garage with lifts is still full of T’s A’s
                      and a Austin Healey or two. Mostly cruise nights for him now.

At the end of the day it’s just about having fun.

Respectfully,

johnyrude200
                      Participant

Its understandable listening to everyone’s perspective on this topic that each member’s oppinion is based on their demographic. My $0.02 is that the club needs to recognize that people growing up in the 70’s & 80’s relate to those motors differently than those seeing motors from the 50’s & 60’s as what they saw everyday in their youth years.

Frankly, IMHO, if the club doesnt adapt to the evolution of member demographics, there won’t be a club anymore in 20 years.

Myself and other chapter members have this conversation at every swap meet we attend. When less than 5% of your chapter’s membership is <40 Y.O., the facts speak for themselves.

I wonder, does the national office have demographic data on our club nation wide, and if so, why hasnt it been published in the magazine for all to see?

Anyway, the term antique and classic probably made sense at the time they were deemed but dont anymore. I vote they should be labeled based on calendar age. IE pre WW2, antique (>24years), and classic (over 15 years). Everything newer than 15 y.o. is still modern.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 41 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.