Home Forum Ask A Member Are Sierra’s breaker points just garbage or what?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    jeffersonsharp
    Participant

I purchased a boat with twin ’57 Johnson 35hp RDE-19 outboards converted to long shaft. I’ve been going through doing all the maintenance things to get the motors back in service. I’ve resealed the gear cases, replaced the impellers, cleared the rear cavity drain of 60 years of mud-crete, rebuilt the carbs, replaced the fuel lines, repaired the internal wiring harnesses, replaced the fuel filters, replaced the coils and condensers, and today I put in new breaker points. But, when I went to adjust them, no dice. These things have to much gap even adjusted as close as they go. This is the first time I’ve ever done points so perhaps there’s something I’ve done wrong but I can’t think what that would be. Maybe my mistake was buying Sierra parts but I thought they had at least a reasonably good reputation. Has anyone else had problems with Sierra points on these old motors? I searched the internet and didn’t find any complaints. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

Tom
      Participant

US Member

Check to see that the rivets are tight, I’e had some that were loose and wouldn’t hold adjustment.

Tom

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Sierra quality control ranges from lousy to non-existent. How’s your luck doin’?

jeffersonsharp
          Participant

Thanks for the quick response. I just checked them they’re tight. The hole in the base for the pivot post Seems like it may be a couple thousandths larger than the old points but other than that they appear identical. I can’t imagine that almost imperceptible slop could cause the problems I’m having.

jeffersonsharp
            Participant

Boy, without Sierra there’s virtually no new parts availability for these motors.

chris-p
              Participant

I only buy NOS OEM points.

steveh
                Participant

US Member

marineengine.com has OEM breaker points. Part #0580148 $13.19 each

dan-in-tn
                  Participant

US Member

Buy the OEM tuneup kit #172522 for $21.67 on sale at ME. Less than a $1.00 more than Sierra $20.80 JUNK! Comes with 2 sets of points, 2 condensors, & the oiler wick you will need. It’s all I buy. Sierra has been junk since I have been 15 years old. I’m 64 now. Some of their stuff is fine, but not their points! Could be my opinion, but it’s not!

Dan in TN

jeffersonsharp
                    Participant

Well, Hell. Trying to save a buck. Guess I’ll order the right parts and consider this a slightly spendy lesson. Now I know. Thanks for your input everyone.

jerry-ahrens
                      Participant

US Member

Hover test those Sierra points over the trash can…. if they drop in when you let go, their no good! No seriously, they ARE junk! I’ve chased my tail a few times with those.. I would highly recommend the tune up kit Dan mentioned. Those are the only GOOD points that there are for your motor.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.