Home Forum Ask A Member Are Sierra’s breaker points just garbage or what?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Steve D
    Participant

I agree with all the above…I also don’t trust their impellers, o-rings for dual hose tanks, thermostats, and not crazy about the carb kits either because of some off size needle and seats I got in the past. Various seals and gaskets seem to be ok though. Your mileage may vary.

amuller
      Participant

In the distant past, mostly working on cars, we used to change points and condensers as a matter of course. These days, with the increasing cost, decreasing availability, and often questionable quality, it usually make sense to stone the existing points and put them back in. Few outboards run enough hours to wear out a point set. JMO. BTW, the point sets for the V4 I’ve been working on are $72 each at Marineengine.

jeffersonsharp
        Participant

So, I went to order points and found the part number 172522 listed as for ’58-’59 35 hp. I did find one listing on eBay that indicated ’57-’59. Marine Engine shows model RDE-19 as a 1958 model year where everywhere else shows it as 1957. The BRP packaging for that model number lists ’58-’59. I really want to be sure I’m ordering the right thing as I’ve had a real bad run with wrong points. Are we sure that model number is what I need? Thanks so much for your help. Oh, and I already did the hover test. They failed.

jeffersonsharp
          Participant
            quote amuller:

BTW, the point sets for the V4 I’ve been working on are $72 each at Marineengine.

Ouch!

dan-in-tn
            Participant

US Member

You have to know what is in the motor in terms of coils? The older larger engines used #580197 coils which took a #580419 condensor. They no longer make that coil, just the one coil for all models #584477. That coil takes the #580321 condensors which comes in the #172522 tuneup kit along with #580148 points & oiler wick. That kit fits all two cylinder engines from forever now. You got the right stuff!
              I believe if your motor still had blue or purple coils in it then you would need #172523 kit which has the different condensors #580419. Getting harder to find those coils now. Hope that helps!

Dan in TN

wedgie
              Participant

"I believe if your motor still had blue or purple coils in it then you would need #172523 kit which has the different condensors #580419."

This is some really good info ! Thanks Dan

amuller
                Participant
                  quote t2stroke:

You have to know what is in the motor in terms of coils? The older larger engines used #580197 coils which took a #580419 condensor. They no longer make that coil, just the one coil for all models #584477. That coil takes the #580321 condensors which comes in the #172522 tuneup kit along with #580148 points & oiler wick. That kit fits all two cylinder engines from forever now. You got the right stuff!
                  I believe if your motor still had blue or purple coils in it then you would need #172523 kit which has the different condensors #580419. Getting harder to find those coils now. Hope that helps!

Dan in TN

This is valuable info. I did not know the condensers needed to be different. Anybody know what the capacitance specs are for the two?

jeffersonsharp
                  Participant

Wow, Dan, thanks. You obviously have a ton of knowledge. I’ll order my new parts with more confidence than I thought possible. All the helpfulness and friendliness on this forum is making the strangely enticing allure of pretty old boat motors even stronger. If I’m not careful I’m going to end up buying more motors just because.

jeffersonsharp
                    Participant
                      quote t2stroke:

That kit fits all two cylinder engines from forever now. You got the right stuff!
                      Dan in TN

There is at least one notable exception though. The 1976 35hp had a pivot post integrated into the point base rather than part of the mag plate. That’s part of what I was talking about earlier when I said I’d had bad luck with points. I still don’t have correct points for that motor. I think I’ll try stoning the old points which aren’t that bad if I ever get back around to that motor.

dan-in-tn
                      Participant

US Member

The 1976 35hp & other motors from the Low Tension ignition system are a completely different system. (1974-1976 9.9/15 & 1973-1976 25-40hp.) It doesn’t have two coils under the flywheel. It takes #581207 points. I personally am not a fan of those motors or that system in particular! I lived thru that with OMC & still try to avoid those motors. Before you spend time & money on it check to see how much slack you have in the mag plate. Try to move it around the top of the block in several places. If the points gap moves any the motor/ignition system is not going to operate properly. OMC made stabilization kits, but they are hard to come by now. It is easier to convert to CD ignition & by far the best fix. Just my opinion, I may be wrong.

Dan in TN

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 21 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.