Home Forum Ask A Member Champion outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    sljohnson
    Participant

I Purchased to 1946 champion 1J blue ribbon outboards I would like to rebuild the carburetor and reseal the lower unit can anyone help me on where to find parts and schematics ?

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member

Discount marine says they have the carb kit (Tillotson ME-1)

cajuncook1
        Participant

cajuncook1
          Participant

cajuncook1
            Participant

Look at the pdf below. It shows the different motors from different makers that use the Tillotson carburetors. Some of those share the same needle and seats as well as gaskets numbers and kit numbers. May make it easier to find what you need.

sljohnson
              Participant

That book is great help. Does anyone sell parts for the Champion outboards?

cajuncook1
                Participant

As far spare parts for your, you would have find a parts motor. You can place a want Ad here on the AOMCI Webvertise section. There many members that have Champion parts motors. As for as the carburetor, retiredoz made an excellent suggestion for a carburetor kit or you can make the gaskets yourself.

quote :

Discount marine says they have the carb kit (Tillotson ME-1)

In regards to the ignition, test your ignition to see if the coil, points, and condenser are still good. If you need to replace the spark plug wires, then you should get 7mm copper core wires and not the automotive stuff. You can purchase 7mm copper core wires at local lawn mower shop, Tractor shops, and some automotive shops. You can even get them on Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Spark-Plug … +and+boots

If your coil is bad, then you will have to identify the type of coil and report back to the forum for suggested replacements.

Your gearcase uses grease and not gear oil. Good gear case grease are Corn Head grease and Lubriplate 105.

Cheers,

Cajun

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

It would appear it is a Bendix Scintilla mag / coil. AKA Mercury.

sljohnson
                    Participant

What spark plugs work in the 1946 champion 1j?

rco
                      Participant

It originally called for a #9 champion plug which supercedes to a D21.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.