Home Forum Ask A Member Champion outboard

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    cajuncook1
    Participant
      quote sjohnson:

What spark plugs work in the 1946 champion 1j?

It is listed in the last diagram I posted. You can download the pictures to your computer for future reference. It calls for Champion 7 spark plugs. I don’t know the equalivent of today’s sparkplug Champions, but Garry Spencer may have that information.

sljohnson
      Participant
        quote cajuncook1:

quote sjohnson:

It is listed in the last diagram I posted. You can download the pictures to your computer for future reference. It calls for Champion 7 spark plugs. I don’t know the equalivent of today’s sparkplug Champions, but Garry Spencer may have that information.

The diagrams are great but I don’t see anything about spark plugs. Other than the recommend gap!

cajuncook1
        Participant
          quote sjohnson:

quote cajuncook1:

quote sjohnson:

The diagrams are great but I don’t see anything about spark plugs. Other than the recommend gap!

Look just left of the gap setting it says Champ 7. 🙂 That is their abbreviation for Champion sparkplug #7. Hopefully Frank or Garry will have today’s equivalent.

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Use a Champion 516 . . . 😎

sljohnson
            Participant

No spark looks like I need coil points and condenser anyone know where I can find these parts?

frankr
              Participant

US Member

I have heard that these will work. Haven’t personally tried it. Yeah, I know, you only need one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-MERCURY-DI … 1911655161

sljohnson
                Participant

That looks like it will work. Thanks!

Attachments:

The Boat House
                  Participant

He will sell you just one.
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DISSTON-MERCUR … XQ97RRHTLJ

squierka39
                    Participant

US Member

Watch when you put the new ones in. The old one is backwards. The little notch in the laminates is for the spring clip to fit into.

outbdnut2
                      Participant

US Member

I have a couple of these old Champions, one of them my Dad bought new. I’ve been using Champion D16 spark plugs with no problems. There are lots of 4.2 HP parts motors here in Minnesota, as they were made here and a zillion of them were sold. Up until somewhere inthe mid 1980s, I could buy factory parts from Swanson Outboard which was a 20 minute drive from me. Lyle Swanson got the leftover Champion factory stock when they went out of business. Unfortunately, Swanson Outboard is long gone now.
                        Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.