Home Forum Ask A Member Dope for Carbs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    shane-r13
    Participant

Where is everyone buy their model airplane dope for redoing old carb floats? I’ve looked online Amazon, eBay, etc and all i can find is products that are more than a carb rebuild kit generally. Do you buy it local is it cheaper or is their some craft store online or something?

Thanks,
      Shane

lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just got some from Amazon a month ago. It’s called Aroe Gloss

shane-r13
        Participant

When I searched "Aroe Gloss" on Amazon. All I came up with was makeup.

shane-r13
          Participant

Never mind, I realized that was a typo. I think you meant Aero Gloss?

foodclub
            Participant

You should search for AERO GLOSS, he typed the name wrong. That is the correct name. It is now made by Midwest.

Here is a fuel proof Butyrate dope.

https://www.amazon.com/SIG-SD026-Super-Butwate-Proof/dp/B077QN23B9/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1538658787&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=aero+gloss+dope

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

used gel type crazy glue myself… no ill effects yet that I am aware of….

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

nj-boatbuilder57
                Participant

Just a question: why not use a modern plastic one that is alcohol proof?

shane-r13
                  Participant
                    quote NJ-boatbuilder57:

Just a question: why not use a modern plastic one that is alcohol proof?

I bought a rebuild kit that included a plastic one. It seems to run better with the original. Don’t ask me why though. And yes the float is level when the carb is upside down so I just tossed the old one back in and it ran better. So I am looking to make the original last.

outbdnut2
                    Participant

US Member

I last bought a bottle of Dope about 10 years ago from a rare hobby shop I found in a suburb of Minneapolis that still catered to the do-it yourself hobbiest that builds and flys model airplanes from balsa wood. I find that most hobby shops now are nothing more than glorified Craft and toy Stores.

I believe the shop is still there if any of you live in the area – it is King Kong Hobbies in Coon Rapids, MN, just off HWY 10 and Foley Blvd near the big movie theater complex.

I agree the plastic float is the way to go, but they aren’t available for a lot of the old stuff we work on.
                      Dave

chris-p
                      Participant

I bought a can of Aero Gloss. Did about 10 motors before I tested any. Big mistake. The product flaked off and clogged all the carb passages. Had to re clean them all (they weren’t mine!) and buy them new floats. I will never use a dope again. Just my 2 cents.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.