Home Forum Ask A Member Dope for Carbs

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    outboardnut
    Participant

US Member

Yes I was wondering that myself-Could a person bend at the fulcrum more?

outbdnut2
      Participant

US Member

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

That’s interesting Tubs! Materials bonding cork particles together, resins, etc. I always thought a cork was a cork! I can see where some of these are "closed cell" corks due to the bonding agent, and some may be open-cell, or maybe gas breaks down some of the man made materials in the mix. I’m bettin’ ethanol alone won’t break these down, because that’s in wine! I wonder if all these concoctions withstand Dope or Super Glue?

You got my curiosity up and I found the sites below. I bet the epoxy, etc. coatings they talk about reisist ethanol, gas and darn near anything else!

http://www.jelinek.com/gaskets-floats/

For gas tanks, I found this:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/gasgaugefloats.php

lloyd
        Participant

US Member

I have been making and sealing cork floats for many years. Gas tank sealer will peal off and clog up carb passages. CA glue will work but very difficult to apply and will make the cork too heavy. Model airplane Dope is the best but it must be old fashioned BUTYRATE Dope. Some newer airplane Dope is made with clear Urethane which will soften in gasoline and make a mess. Any good model airplane/hobby store will or should have BUTYRATE dope, but make sure it is not Urethane Dope. Must use ACETONE to clean brushes and or thin BUTYRATE. Nothing else will touch it. That’s why it works!!

More good info at: pochefamily.org/outboard

Hope that helps.

Buccaneer
          Participant

US Member

I’ve been using Dollar Store crazy glue on my cork floats.
            I don’t run any one outboard enough to know if it holds up.
            Any thoughts, good or bad on crazy glue?

Prepare to be boarded!

lloyd
            Participant

US Member

If I remember correctly "crazy glue" is a brand name of CA (cyanoacrylate) glue. It will work and last but as mentioned above, it can make corks too heavy if too much is used.

amuller
              Participant

This is one of those subjects, like fuel mix ratios, where discussion never ends. I have used the tank coating POR15 on floats and it seems to hold up. But it’s hard to know how much the weight is increased and how that effects the function of the carb. People report different reports with dope, crazy glue, tank coatings…. I suspect this is related to differences in fuel chemistry. Motor gasoline does not have a defined chemical makeup, and different refineries may send out quite different products as long as they meet basic octane and vapor pressure specs. And around here (Minnesota) fuel with 15% ethanol is becoming common, as the state promotes it as a subsidy to the corn growers and ethanol producers.

vintin
                Participant

I have had POR-15 fail, and fail miserably.

outboardnut
                  Participant

US Member

All I have is questions -no answers
                    Who makes the floats for the carb kits we buy?
                    What substance do they use on the cork?
                    I am assuming they use natural cork

The Boat House
                    Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                      • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                      amuller
                      Participant

Personally I am a believer in brass floats. Yes, they have their failure modes but I have seen few bad ones in a lifetime of tinkering with engines. I think OMC was a bit out of the mainstream in sticking with cork floats so long.

Someone above posted an interesting link that seems to indicate that "cork" is also quite variable stuff, at least when used to close wine bottles.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.