Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Handifour

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    lyks2tinkr
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I picked up a 37 Elto Handifour model 4219 on my way to the Madbury NH meet saturday. It was an Ebay find that went dirt cheap, probably because it’s stuck but I’ll take a chance because it’s a rare motor and I like the open spark plug look.
      I soaked it down with Gibbs and tinkered with it a bit Sunday.
      This is the 1st 4 cyl of this type I’ve owned. When I took the muffler off I saw a strange port with a cotter pin through it on the back of the crankcase and was wondering what it’s for.

Tom
      Participant

US Member

I believe that’s the retaining pin for the center bearing.

T

lyks2tinkr
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks Tom that was quick.I am really starting to like the looks of this motor.
          I resisted a nice original 1945 Lightfour. They are starting to grow on me.
          Are the coils the same as a Zephyr? I have a bad one on the Handifour.

Tom
          Participant

US Member

Phil,

Send me the distance between the mounting holes, I’ll let you know. I have an extra one here.

T

Tom
            Participant

US Member

BTW, Once you get that cotter pin out, you should be able to thread a bolt into the retaining pin to pull it out. IIRC, it’s 1/4" thread, but I don’t remember if it’s fine or coarse.

T

lyks2tinkr
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

They made the Handifour in 37 as well as the Lightfour Imperial. They were the same hp. I believe the story goes that OMC thought that the Handifour was hurting sales of the more expensive Lightfour Imperial so the Handifour was discontinued sometime in 37.
                Acording to the Old Outboard Book there were 5 version so of the Handifour. The Handifour, an HD version and long shaft of each version.

itchy
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The Handitwin I had was a two cylinder…..a very nice little motor.

lyks2tinkr
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I just noticed it said Handitwin in the topic. Sometimes auto complete is a pain. I have edited it to read correctly.

jim-moffatt
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Phil
                      I have owned about 5 lightfours but never a handifour.
                      I now own a 37 that is identical to your motor except for having a shroud.
                      In 1937 they had the early style magneto, parts dont interchange with post-war lightfours and Zephers.
                      I suspect that the pre-war Zephers had the same coils as the lightfours.

World War 2 forged the development of rare earth magnets and all post war OMC motors used them. They
                      were not available pre-war.

jim-moffatt
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Phil
                        I have owned about 5 lightfours but never a handifour.
                        I now own a 37 that is identical to your motor except for having a shroud and flat-front cylinders.
                        In 1937 they had the early style magneto, parts dont interchange with post-war lightfours and Zephers.
                        I suspect that the pre-war Zephers had the same coils as the lightfours.

World War 2 forged the development of rare earth magnets and all post war OMC motors used them. They
                        were not available pre-war.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.