Home Forum Ask A Member Elto Senior Speedster

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    RICHARD A. WHITE
    Participant

Lifetime Member

Golly, with such a kerfuffle, I will take the project off your hands so you don’t have to deal with such issues…LOL

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
      classicomctools@gmail.com

49morphew
      Participant

US Member

Electric start. It’s the original set as far as I know.

pm-t2
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Going by what (limited) experience I have with these motors – it seems there are a number of differences that might help differentiate the model years.

The earliest 310 I have is #19, it has a heavy 4-hole flywheel and no ID plate on the transom bracket, the number is stamped right into the aluminum bracket like 49morphew’s motor. This motor had the short tiller on it and no ON/OFF switch on the tiller handle bracket.

The newer 310 is in the 800 s/n range (no "P" suffix) and has a three-hole flywheel, longer tiller (you could get them with one or the other on all models) but has the added on-off switch in the transom bracket. Ditto for a model 310 in the 700 range that I sold a few years ago, but it didn’t have the "P" suffix on the ID plate.

It seems if there’s no ID plate on the transom bracket, they stamped the number in where the plate ought to be and that’s all.

If they have an ID plate, they stamped the plate plus another location that is usually low on the starboard side of the engine block. Coupled with the change in flywheel styles, and addition of the ignition toggle switch, motors with these features might be post 1930 models, since I believe that its possible that at least some of the 1930 models didn’t come with an ID plate. However, as much as I’d like to, I can’t suggest a point at which Evinrude transitioned into using the plate as well as secondary s/n location.

Unfortunately, none of that answers the "P" designation question, but at this point the only other thing I have to offer is that I have no record nor recollection of seeing any of the 1930 four-hole flywheel Sr Speedsters with the "P" added to the serial number.

Hope this helps.

Best,
          PM T2

bill-loveland
          Participant

dupe

bill-loveland
            Participant

So yesterday I was trying to dig out my shop that had gotten buried in a flurry of motor purchases and I worked my way back to the 310 with the intent of removing the plugs, spraying the cylinders with PBBlaster and hanging it on the rack for the time being. Long story short, this motor that had sat out in the weather for years came unstuck, I got the flywheel off, disconnected the timer strap, and the darn thing rolls over with strong compression and bounce. Amazing.

Found about what I was suspecting when I took the top off the timer case:

The good news? I have all the little bits for the Rube Goldberg contraption. Bad news – gotta get a replacement trigger housing (or whatever it’s called. Seems to me somebody had them in the past – Art DeKalb? Doug Penn?

Also, the timer cover is pretty shaky – same questions – are they out there as repo’s?

Oh yeah – same thing for the float bowl cover of the carb.

eltoquad
              Participant

US Member

I have #3100623P and it has the ignition system used on the Super C s. not the Atwater ign. Maybe from the factory but maybe not??

The Boat House
                Participant

Most call it the timer bushing.
                  Art DeKalb, Doug Penn, may have them.
                  John Gruman (Ships Store) use to make
                  them. The float bowl cover from the
                  style of carburetor they put on these
                  fit. I’ll bet Frank Rob can hook you up
                  with one. If not he can tell you what
                  to look for.
                  (Sent you a PM.)

pm-t2
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

not a Sr Speedster – but its bigger brother(s), the Super C – just plugging it in here to keep an antique motor thread going….

PM T2

49morphew
                    Participant

US Member

Super cool! When’s the last time anybody saw one of those? Much less two of them, together!

pm-t2
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’m sure it’s not something often seen, thats why I put pictures up. Not everybody is as lucky (or mentally deficient) as I am

PM T2

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 43 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.