Home Forum Ask A Member Johnson Model A flywheel removal trouble

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    willyboy
    Participant

Trying to pull the flywheel off of my project model a Johnson and having a bear of a time so far. Watched Doug Penns youtube video and he made it look so easy lol,i always get the difficult ones. Tried the wood block and prybar route while giving the crank nut a whack to no avail-except to jar some rust particles loose in the water cooling passages in the cylinders. I don’t like whacking something that old and possibly brittle with a hammer in fear of breaking it. Anyone have any tips for getting the cover off one of these engines? Been looking thru the prior 86 pages and not finding what i’m looking for.

eviltwin
      Participant

viewtopic.php?t=3712

wedgie
        Participant

Mumbles
          Participant

Make up a little nut and bolt system as in Wedgies picture to match the threads on your crankshaft. Tighten up the two nuts on the bolt and then run it down snug on the top of your crankshaft making sure the bolt has bottomed out on the crankshaft. Support the weight of your motor by the flywheel and then hit the bolt hard like you mean it. Don’t play around. Give it a hard hit with your hammer. The flywheel should pop right off. Don’t worry as you won’t damage the threads on the crankshaft doing it this way.

By the way, this is page 87. ☺

Steve A W
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here’s a video from Mr.Tubbs;
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWgE9XiIBnk

Member of the MOB chapter.
              I live in Northwest Indiana

The Boat House
              Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.
                willyboy
                Participant

Thank you for all the helpful advice. Yes Tubs I did booger up the top 2 crankshaft threads which warranted a trip to Sears for a nice set of tap and dies of which I didn’t have so I guess there was a bright spot to it in the end. I stopped by the hardware store and picked up a 7/16-20 bolt and 2 nuts of the same size. I haven’t gave it a try yet as after the boogered up threads I thought it best to walk away for a while. When I put this nut/bolt combo together tomoro and attach it to the crankshaft should the nuts be touching the flywheel or stop just before? And Mumbles what are you supporting the weight of the motor by the flywheel with-blocks of wood?

brook-n
                  Participant

Yeah…. I am not a supporter of using a hammer on the flywheel nut & crankshaft to pop the flywheel loose.
                    I am aware that there are some service manuals that mention this method, but the risk of damaging the threads
                    on both the nut & crankshaft is high in my opinion. Even if it is sucessful once or twice it does stress & fatigue the threads.
                    Working on motors regularly I feel having the right tool is key. Flywheel pullers come in all shapes and sizes or you
                    could always make a puller to fill your needs if one is not avalible as I have needed to for my Rowboat motors.
                    It’s unfortunate purchasing a motor to restore and finding you have to address a damaged crankshaft due to
                    a hammer mechanic.

Just another view point.

Respectfully

The Boat House
                    Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                      • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by The Boat House.
                      green-thumbs
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Try heating the hub of flywheel until wax will melt and be drawn into area between flywheel and crankshaft. A no harm and surprisingly effective technique. Worked for me and maybe for you
                        as well.
                        Louis

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.