Home Forum Ask A Member New Coils For An Old ELTO

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    dave-bernard
    Participant

US Member

how about using your dermal to make an under grind the plastic a little.

Tom
      Participant

US Member
        quote Huntleybill:

OK..I worked on the coil last night. It is definitely dead as I get no readings at all from the SP wire to any one of the smaller wires. I DO get continuity when I measure between the two small wires.

Bill

I will assume SP is the soldering point, I didn’t go back and read the whole thread…

There are two primary wires coming out of this coil, right? If so, the primary may be isolated from the secondary. So there should be continuity (a few ohms) across the two primary wires, and there should be continuity (a few kilohm) across the two high tension terminals. But no continuity between a primary wire and a high tension lead.

Tom

wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Tom, I think SP means spark plug, but it’s the same thing in either case. I believe you are correct in the way these coils are constructed.

Huntleybill, the brittle soldered connection means you were not quite up to temperature to make the solder stick. You are right to be concerned about overheating. I used my iron on the 250W setting and removed it as soon as I had good contact. A hot iron can direct more heat quickly to a single spot. You do have to be careful. This is why I measure continuity before and after. Melting plastic is bad, but a little is probably fine considering that the plastic surrounds the nubs. It would be worth wiring them up and trying it again.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

reiter
          Participant

Will the 13225E0929 coil work on a mercury with the Scintilla mag?

mercuryman
            Participant

Yes, if its the one with two solder buttons connect one to ground and the other to spark plug wire. I used a small insulated wire covered with heat shrink, connected to button and worked it under coil to plug wire. There are some of these Military coils with one button for plug wire.

Tom
              Participant

US Member

Will the 13225E0929 coil work on a mercury with the Scintilla mag?

See the January 16 post from John-C, earlier in this thread.

T

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Tom.
                The Boat House
                Participant

The Boat House
                  Participant

Monte NZ
                    Participant

International Member - 2 Years

I have just discovered that two OMC coils will fit end to end in the tube of my 1922 Ruddertwin if the horns for the spark plug leads are cut off.

Has anyone tried this, as I think it would work?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Monte NZ

wbeaton
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Sure. It’ll work. Routing the plug wires might be tough.

Wayne
                        Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 62 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.