Home Forum Ask A Member Speeditwin Magneto

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    george-emmanuel
    Participant

US Member

Nice job! The original mag handle bolted on the underneath of the mag plate. The diagram Garry showed is for the later version but the principle is the same. The early one like yours has a tab on the advance lever and an insulated "button" ( more like a rivet with insulating washers around it) that the wire coming from the coil attached to such that when you depressed the tab it grounded the button thus killing the spark. The mag plate you have is the beginning of the transforming that changed from the 1920’s style to the 6039 Speeditwin.

I love you creativity!

George

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Great looking restoration on the mag. Looking forward to seeing the finished motor!!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member
          quote George Emmanuel:

Nice job! The original mag handle bolted on the underneath of the mag plate. The diagram Garry showed is for the later version but the principle is the same. The early one like yours has a tab on the advance lever and an insulated “button” ( more like a rivet with insulating washers around it) that the wire coming from the coil attached to such that when you depressed the tab it grounded the button thus killing the spark. The mag plate you have is the beginning of the transforming that changed from the 1920’s style to the 6039 Speeditwin.
          I love you creativity!
          George

George, thanks for the information.

I asked this a while back, but never heard any words of wisdom. Regarding my Speeditwin
          flywheel, I only have magnetism across one side of the shoes, as seen by the bolts.
          Is this normal / correct?

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

Polish the hub where the breaker points ride, you don’t want them to pick up any dirt or rust as the flywheel slides on. This is easier if the woodruff key points away from the points. Pushing against the taper while you line up the key gives more room for the contact point . . . 😀

Buccaneer
            Participant

US Member

I’ll be sure to clean up the flywheel and points cam nice and shiny
              before it goes together. I wonder is sandblasting the inside of
              the flywheel would take away the magnetism of the magnets?
              I’ve never tried yet.

Prepare to be boarded!

george-emmanuel
              Participant

US Member

I wouldn’t recommend sandblasting. Bead blasting maybe, but tape off the cam and the bore of the hub. Regarding the magnets, I’ve never seen that before either. Find someone who will recharge the magnets, but make sure they know what they are doing. Experimenting down here with recharging indicates the polarity affects the spark. Steve Wood is good with it. He might be at Tomahawk this year and usually has his charger with him. I have extra flywheels if you need one.

George

Buccaneer
                Participant

US Member

George, thanks for your input. I do have a homemade magnet charger.
                  Not sure I know what I’m doing half the time though, so I’ll have to
                  "measure twice, cut once", or something to that effect!
                  I do know it takes a little "backwards thinking" and a compass
                  to get the flywheel set up correctly for charging.
                  Currently, I don’t have curved blocks for charging flywheels,
                  but this may finally give me the urging to make some.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.