Home Forum Ask A Member Ultrasonic Parts Cleaner

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    bob-d
    Participant

US Member

Thinking of getting one for Christmas. Have spent days researching, apparently there are a lot of poorly made Chinese imports that don’t hold up. Prices range from $29.99 to thousands. Have narrowed it down to this model, primarily due to it’s warranty of 2 years on the unit, and 10 years on the transducer. I think is bit pricey, but I would rather spend a bit more upfront for a unit I won’t have to replace a year or two down the road.
      Anyone have one that they could recommend? If so what are you using for a cleaning solution? Mainly want it for carbs.
      Bob D

Attachments:

Pete
      Participant

US Member

Looks like a nice unit. With warranties where do you have it serviced, local or shipped, and who pays for S&H each way ❓ How does Smart service work ❓
        For warranty claim I wouldn’t tell them you clean carbs with it, they would probably void warranty since not jewelry.

Per the web page:

Engineered in USA, Country/Region of Manufacture: China

I wish that wasn’t so 🙁

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3QTH-Next-Gen- … 2761103227

RICHARD A. WHITE
        Participant

Lifetime Member

Looking at that it seems good, but I noticed one statement that concerns me….

"Engineered in the USA"

means we speced it and it is probably made in China as well.

That does not mean it is not good, just not made here

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
          classicomctools@gmail.com

bob-d
          Participant

US Member

Good points guys. I guess before I buy one I will have to get the warantee info from the seller.
            Most of the ones I reviewed didn’t have any warantee info listed, which scared me even more.
            Bob D

theodore
            Participant

I bought mine about 3 years ago. It’s called a "Kendal HB49", and has the digital keypad. I see now they are now going to knobs. Mine holds 9 Liters, so I can put a whole Quadrajet carb inside. I was scared of going "too small". I paid about $310 at the time.

I run "Formula 88" degreaser from Home Depot. It’s like "Purple Stuff". The trick is to get the temp up to about 155 (F). Thats when it really cleans. If you turn on the on board heater first alone, the temp is slow to come up. Once you turn on the ultrasonic, the temp rises much faster.

You can put a carb bowl in there, and run it about 20 minutes, then take the carb bowl out and pour out the contents. First comes the clean purple cleaner, last comes the liquified gasoline- a brown/orange sludge. All the nasty stuff you could not see trapped in the passages.

With the cleaner I use, the aluminum carb comes out a little darker than it went in. There may be a cleaner that gives you a "brighter" carb. I’ve heard of people running "Simple Green", but don’t know how that works.

Mine has a drain valve on the side with a hose barb. Stick on a scrap of hose and drain it. Much better than wrestling the whole unit upside down.

I have an old strainer from a coffee maker, which is plastic with a "panty hose" mesh screen all around. I put all the little bitty stuff in there- Jets, screws, needles, pins, etc, then throw it in the tank along side the castings. Having the larger unit, space is not a concern.

Hope this helps-

P.S. I read somewhere that you shouldn’t put your fingers in the bath when its running, it will dissolve the bones. It’s probably B.S., but it reminds me to pay attention. I don’t want to be one of those guys with tiny hands and short little fingers ;).

nj-boatbuilder57
              Participant

I almost bought an ultrasonic cleaner….then a guy I work with lent me his "can of magic"

Stinks like hell, but works super well

Don’t laugh….but I soak in this can for an hour, then a hot rinse, then I put the parts in the dishwasher. Doesn’t thrill my wife, but it doesn’t hurt anything either. (dishwasher works great….the detergent has a pH of about 12, and parts get CLEAN!)

jeff-register
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Scary anymore, Scammers. Different than 10 years ago, by far,

Pondrocket
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

https://www.ultrasonicsdirect.com/heulc … zMQAvD_BwE

Travis
                    AOMCI VP Communications
                    AOMCI Webmaster
                    webmaster@aomci.org

bob-d
                    Participant

US Member

Theodore, thanks some good tips.
                      NJ Boatbuilder, I’m currently using a Berryman chemical dip tank, but I find it doesn’t get all the deposits off the carb. I read somewhere that they changed the chemical strength in the dip tanks for EPA regulations? Possibly the Gunk version is stronger?
                      Travis, wow that’s Ultrasonics link you posted is a great unit. Made in the USA, 2 year warrantee, nice big tank. Looks like it made especially for carbs. At $477 it’s getting a bit past my budget, but I’m definitely now thinking about it.
                      Bob D

Attachments:

Buccaneer
                      Participant

US Member

I’ve seen homemade ones on YouTube with an orbital sander
                        clamped / duct taped to a 5 gallon bucket……….
                        A Red Green special for sure!
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cSdL7I4AHM

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.