Home Forum Ask A Member Ultrasonic Parts Cleaner

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    wbeaton
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

My friend has a similar ultrasonic cleaner and it works great. However, I noticed that the carbs turned out best when the solution came to a rolling boil for the full 20 minute run. With this knowledge, I filled a pot with the solution and boiled it on my bbq side burner. I got the same results as the ultrasonic cleaner. The flowing water of the rolling boil seemed to do the same job. I’m sure an industrial ultrasonic cleaner is a different story, but personally I’d save my money and use the bbq.

Wayne
      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

amuller
      Participant

I have a small one picked up at a junkyard years ago. Price was right but It doesn’t seem very powerful to me. Better than simple soaking but not dramatically so.

rjoynt
        Participant

US Member

I use the Harbor Freight ultrasonic unit. I learned my lesson on the first one. Make sure that you unplug it when done. First one fried. Luckily not the house! I have used the second one for two years, no problem. I have a third one on my shelf, waiting for the second one to die. They are roughly $70 each, less with a coupon. Works great!

RICHARD A. WHITE
          Participant

Lifetime Member

rjoynt…

I have the same one in my shop…. wish it had a tad bigger tank, but for the money it does the job…

For the price, I almost want to tear one down and see if I can adapt it to a bigger tank….golly another project…lol

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
            classicomctools@gmail.com

rmhxruss
            Participant

We bought a used L & R Ultrasonic Quantrex 280 over ten years ago. Used every week works good.

bob-d
              Participant

US Member

Well after tons of research I picked up a used Crest. Merry Christmas to me (now I just have to tell the wife what she got me).They are supposingly one of the top brands?
                From what I have read in various automotive, and cycle forums, some of the cheaper Chinese models quit after a year or so. So I was looking for some longevity, and a backup repair plan in case it breaks. Their main US office is in New Jersey.
                I plan to use it with a 4 to 1mixture of distilled water, and Simple Green Industrial (Home Depot). This was recommended by a number of forum members.
                Will let everyone know the results once I wash my first carb.
                I also did research regarding making your own. You can get two transducers, and a board on EBay for cheap. There are also tutorials on YouTube on how to assemble the parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-100W-40KH … 0505.m3226

Since this is a bit over my electrical level, I will wait for Tubs, Jim (Mumbles), or Frank to pull off a homemade one!

Bob D

Attachments:

wagemaker
                Participant

I checked out the cleaner kit at https://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-100W-40KH … 0505.m3226, wondering if I could build one. In 1975 I built several Heathkits including a color tv. But the instructions for this kit are a bit confusing. IE: step 6 states "Shock head or transducer ceramic glue application head shock stick firmly to the pelvic floor cleaning;" Haha.

Thanks for the link. I may still give it a try.

chris-p
                  Participant

Bob, what size did you getÉ

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

think a used or… brand new cheap ultrasonic humidifier would work ?? they vaporize water pretty well

any small parts in the tank with some simple green should get cleaned up… just keep a lid on the unit to prevent the juice from getting airborne

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

kevinrude
                      Participant
                        quote Bob D:

Theodore, thanks some good tips.
                        NJ Boatbuilder, I’m currently using a Berryman chemical dip tank, but I find it doesn’t get all the deposits off the carb. I read somewhere that they changed the chemical strength in the dip tanks for EPA regulations? Possibly the Gunk version is stronger?
                        Travis, wow that’s Ultrasonics link you posted is a great unit. Made in the USA, 2 year warrantee, nice big tank. Looks like it made especially for carbs. At $477 it’s getting a bit past my budget, but I’m definitely now thinking about it.
                        Bob D

This is the one I have been using and, yeah, you are right. It does an OK job but that’s about it. Better than the aerosol can carb cleaners however, IMO. I had a guy at one of our swap meets tell me that to make this work like the ‘old’ formula, put it into a crock pot and heat it up. I have purchased a couple of crock pots at garage sales (for $5 or less) but have not yet tried to heat this stuff up. The first warning on the can says ‘do not heat’. Also, the guy telling me about heating it up said to do it outside because the fumes are noxious. Sounds like spending $300 – $500 on an ultrasonic cleaner may be the better approach. Harder on your pocket book, but easier on your health!

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.