Home Forum Ask A Member Which motor to get?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    cheetahgod
    Participant

My dad and I are restoring a 11ft class b utitly racer. Im not looking to race it but rather just mess around and have Fun. I want to put a nice vintage Mercury outboard on it. I like the kg7q and the mark 20 and 25. I want to purchase a restored motor. Also how reliable are these motors?
      Im not sure which motor would be the best choice and not sure if having neutral and reverse is important.
      Could I please get some suggestions?
      Thanks
      Jason

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

cheapest way to go is mark25. better than the mark 20. the KG7 Q is faster BUT much more expensive. no real need for reverse. neutral is good. just my opinion.

chris-p
        Participant

Dockbusters are cool, until you are parking them in a bit of a chop or wind. Then not so cool. Just my opinion! If you are not racing, I would pick a motor with a racing look/feel to it, but perhaps not necessarily a racing motor, and one that has a few conveniences. Just my thoughts.

What is your budget? Obviously, some motors are double or triple in price than others.

cheetahgod
          Participant

Budget is 1200

cheetahgod
            Participant

Is the Mercury 60j expensive?

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member

get a mark 25 and have a lot of money to run on. trailer also

Attachments:

jw-in-dixie
                Participant

I would say not larger/more hp than a Mark 25, which has shift. As Dave says, Neutral is nice for starting and getting settled in a small boat. Has separate gas tank – you can use a smaller one to save space and weight. I have run a B runabout with the KG7 off and on since 1952 – very reliable.
                  It has no neutral – start and go. Prepare to have fun!

metalman
                  Participant

US Member

Jason,

My family ran 22 cubic inch powerhead on a racing tower/lower unit for years. Very reliable, parts are readily available, and plenty fast on a hydro. We started with KG7 and really enjoyed the bump in speed and reliability of the "frankenmerc" set up. The next step up from there would be a 25ss speed wise.

Good luck and have fun!

jw-in-dixie
                    Participant

This is a Merc 200 (22 ci) on a KE7 tower and a KG7 foot. The KE tower allows about 3/8" more engagement, driveshaft to crankshaft. KG will work but might strip. On an 8′ runabout. Works great.

cheetahgod
                      Participant

I have the opportunity to buy:
                        Kg4h
                        Mark 25
                        Mark 20
                        Mercury 60j
                        Mercury kg7
                        Mercury kf5
                        KH7
                        KF7

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 26 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.