Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude lightwin head gasket

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Boonie
    Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Replacing the head gasket on my lightwin 3 hp. Do I need to use sealant? Or install dry?

Boonie
      Participant

I have never used gasket material like this before. Also what is the torque for the head bolts?

A60C9D9F-03D4-4B01-B67A-EB69B90A4F4E

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
        bobw
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I typically install my head gaskets dry, but some folks use a sealer around the water passage only, not on the cylinder surfaces. Here’s a torque chart.

Torque-Chart-OMC-copy

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
          Mumbles
          Participant

These small heads tend to warp over time allowing the head gasket to blow between the two cylinders. While it is off is a good time to lap it flat again using 220 wet n dry on as hard, flat surface. A piece of plate glass works perfect for this.

dave-bernard
            Participant

I would not use sealer only on the water jacket. that would make the cyl and head looser fit and make it blow easier. just my opinion.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by dave-bernard.
              bobw
              Participant

I would not use sealer only on the water jacket. that would make the cyl and head looser fit and make it blow easier. just my opinion.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by dave-bernard.

Probably should have outlined my response a little better. I’ve read where some folks would apply sealer to the water jackets only. I agree that may not be the best approach, and I’ve always just installed mine dry. Never had an issue doing this. Some new head gaskets are marked “Use no Sealer” but I also know some OMC manuals also indicated to always use a sealer I’ll defer to those with far more experience than me.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Boonie
                Participant

Cleaned up the head with 400/600 grit paper on a cast iron table. Started to reassemble then realized one of the head bolt holes was stripped. One step forward two steps back. So now what?

Mumbles
                  Participant

Time for a 1/4 X 20 Heli Coil.

Or, if you don’t have Heli Coils, a short length of 1/4″ threaded rod can be epoxied into what’s left of the threads and a nut used to tighten the head down. This will only work if there is at least some thread left in the block, otherwise it’s the Heli Coil.

Boonie
                    Participant

Heli Coil it will be. Thought I would reset point gap. Guess what, one of the point set screws stripped out. First time I’ve touched this motor. Small issues but takes time to sort out.

The Boat House
                      Participant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 51 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.