Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude lightwin head gasket

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Heli Coil it will be. Thought I would reset point gap. Guess what, one of the point set screws stripped out. First time I’ve touched this motor. Small issues but takes time to sort out.

10 X 24 thread so you might have to tap it out to a 12 X 24 thread and use an appropriate screw or install a 10 X 24 Heli Coil while the coil kit is out.

Good photo Tubs! A picture is worth a thousand words and that’s exactly what I was trying to explain!

Boonie
      Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yup. Made me chuckle when I read bobs slogan.
        Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3 day project”
        So true!
        Waited two weeks for the gasket and within 45 minutes two more problems to solve. Now I’m waiting on a heli coil kit.
        But it’s still fun.

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have never used sealer on JW head gaskets…but I have had to sand the warp out of a couple of them. Good info from the other guys here!
          Dave

Boonie
          Participant

Has anyone seen anything like this? This flywheel would not budge. Then it started to move but for all the wrong reasons.

9C010730-E036-4A58-BBCE-AB396E28F152

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
            Mumbles
            Participant

Dang! That’s what usually happens when a three jaw puller is used to remove the flywheel. Using a three jaw on the outside edge of a flywheel is a big no no. The three threaded holes on top of the flywheel, where this one is broken, are used to remove a flywheel. Now you still have to get the core off the crankshaft.

Boonie
              Participant

Guess I should have started at the big inning. Bought this motor from a guy that said it was to big for him to work on. He said it had spark on one cylinder. So I proceeded to remove the flywheel. One of the three bolt holes on the flywheel had been drilled and taped to 5/16. (Should have been my first clue). So I proceeded to set up my harmonic balancer to do the pull. One of the 1/4 20 holes let loose. Taped that one bigger and tried again. Little bit of force and the flywheel started to lift from one side. Cracked. I do use the proper tool. I have seen tight flywheels before but never like this one. Is it possible that the key has shifted. I’m thinking the only way now is to sergically remove it.

Boonie
                Participant

Used a harmonic balancer. Pulled from the proper position.

JOHN HOLBIK
                  Participant

Back in the day we had a 1953 Evinrude 25. The long coil screw came loose and made the throttle plate stick at times.
                    My dad was a perfectionised kinda guy.He put on the proper OMC puller tightened all bolts equal and rapped the top of the puller with a hammer no go. My dad stripped the 1/4 and retapped 5/16 bolts finally it came off with a bang with 3/8 bolts in the puller.We could never figure out why that motor was so tight there was no rust on the flywheel.I have pulled lots of rusty ones with ease.

Boonie
                    Participant

I’m not quite sure how to proceed next. Can’t get a puller on it now. Try and relieve it with a die grinder?

bobw
                      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Sounds like your 20 minute job just became a 3 day project!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                        1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 51 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.