Home Forum Ask A Member Evinrude lightwin head gasket

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Boonie
    Participant

Canada Member

Ok so here we go. Tightened this puller up and gave it two moderate blows with my hammer. Before and after pictures.

611BA16A-050A-4D7D-8E0D-845494438ED1

1EE178FE-58E9-45EB-BF9E-030E86152F62

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
      Boonie
      Participant

Canada Member

Mumbles nailed it! No damage to the crank.
        Now I need to find a new flywheel.
        RD 10 part # 580-109. If anybody has a lead I would appreciate it.

bobw
        Participant

US Member

Here’s one on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnson-Evinrude-25HP-Big-Twin-Outboard-Flywheel-580109-1953-54/133603206667?epid=1634156129&hash=item1f1b5f260b:g:dOEAAOSw8DNf0sBT

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

The 3 HP LightTwin flywheel had some changes from year to year in the 1950’s -1960’s. You need the right one or your recoil starter will not match up. Post a wanted ad in the classifieds, and put in the year, model number and equivalent model for a Johnson of the same year. I’ve got a couple parts motors around that might have the one you are looking for, but I can’t get to them in the winter. I have one flywheel I think I can get to. I’ll look tomorrow. If I find it, I’ll take a pic and send you a private message. I can’t check the model number because most of the rest of that motor is on top of my flagpole. I think it’s a 1954 or 1955 Johnson if I remember right. I removed the flywheel to make it lighter.

If you have a photo of it before it broke, that would help.
            Dave

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by outbdnut2.
            outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

In your post with the model number RD-10, did you mean to saw JW-10? AN RD is a 25 HP. Also LightTwin is an Evinrude with a different model number format: “JW-(two digit number)”.

Maybe I’m confused here – the post title says LightTwin headgasget – did it somehow switch to a Big Twin?
              Dave

Boonie
              Participant

Canada Member

Yes Dave. I apoligize for the confusion. I’m new to this forum and am working on four different projects at one time.
                I’ll try to clean it up.
                Dan

bobw
                Participant

US Member

In your post with the model number RD-10, did you mean to saw JW-10? AN RD is a 25 HP. Also LightTwin is an Evinrude with a different model number format: “JW-(two digit number)”.

Maybe I’m confused here – the post title says LightTwin headgasget – did it somehow switch to a Big Twin?
                  Dave

I thought you must have meant JW but I happened to be looking at an RD-10 motor recently so I got confused myself!

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                  1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                  "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member

Yes Dave. I apoligize for the confusion. I’m new to this forum and am working on four different projects at one time.
                    I’ll try to clean it up.
                    Dan

A lot of us have done that as rookies on the forum here. The solution is easy – in the future, start a new message string for each motor and for each different problem with a motor.

Glad to have another active member on the forum!
                    DAve

Mumbles
                    Participant

The motor in the photo of the broken flywheel is an RD. The original JW head gasket question got answered earlier.

Where abouts in Canada are you located? I know I used to have a flywheel here off a ’54 Big Twin Electric but I’m not sure if I still have it.

Boonie
                      Participant

Canada Member

I’m in StAgatha,Ontario. Just west of Kitchener -Waterloo. Are you in Hamilton?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 51 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.