Home Forum Ask A Member Gift from my boss .. Lightwin

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    dave-bernard
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

most likely the condensers.

Samuel Phelps
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m gunna order the ignition kit from the link that was posted above ..
        I just took the coils out .. The resistance on the the primary jumped around but both coils settled in on .4 ohms …
        The secondary I didn’t get a reading on either one . OL was the reading if I did it right …

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nice Engine. Just research the data plate.

beautiful!

jeff-register
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Depending on your meter “OL” could mean overload or open line. Check at your highest resistance setting first, then drop down to the next lower setting. Like Dave say’s bad caps too. Primary winding should have very low resistance, secondary should be around 4K or so. Bad plug wires or connectors? No telling who has added their “Handi-work” to the mix!!
            Don’t assume these parts are good. I have found new electrical parts that were BAD too.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by jeff-register.
            crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

where did you mesure the secondaries… at the end of the plug wire on on the screw pin inside the coils coils should read 4-7 kohms

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

how to test coils…

http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/Coils.htm

as to testing condensers well that is not very practical since you can’t simulate real operating conditions but….

should should not see a short…

. and a good old analog needle meter can give you a clue.

black test wire to casing red to wire should give you a momentary swing to short or low resistance… then the needle (ohms) should raise to infinity as the condenser charges up with the internal sensing battery from your meter.

modern electronic meters don’t give much of a visual while they sample the resistance build up.

again not a proof but that is what you should see on condensers .

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by crosbyman.
                Samuel Phelps
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

where did you mesure the secondaries… at the end of the plug wire on on the screw pin inside the coils coils should read 4-7 kohms

Yes that is where I tested . I didn’t get any reading just OL .. I have both a digital an an analog meter.

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

well…if your testing is accurate that would indicate 2 open coils which coincides with the outcome (no sparks)

chineese coils are cheap and have worked fine for me …… if you are not in a hurry the ones with free shipping area good deal

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-5-40HP-Outboard-Engines-Ignition-Coil-For-OMC-Johnson-Evinrude-584477-582995-/203046524200?hash=item2f46841528

they don’T come with the little rubber boots on the coil/wire junction so just install the old ones ( I also add dielectric grease inside under the boots)

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

see pic

oops wrong post

flow

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Mumbles.
                      Samuel Phelps
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Back on it a little .. Hard to find time ..
                        I guess where I checked the secondary on the coils beforeI was not getting good contact on the pin inside. So rechecked and one coil was 3900 ohms and the other was 7100 ohms ..
                        So checked the plug wires . Top one zeroed 0.0 out and the bottom one I could not get reading OL .. Is there a standard plug wire set I can get with the plug boot molded in or will I need to make my own ..
                        I picked up the points and condenser set . I checked the condensers with an analog meter the old and new . They all read the same for the most part . The needle would jump then ease back to infinity.. If that sounds right ..

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 61 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.