Gift from my boss .. Lightwin

Home Forum Ask A Member Gift from my boss .. Lightwin

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 61 total)

• crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3619
    Topics: 331

just use 7mm metallic core wire NOT CARBON boots are available ..check on ebay bike and tractor shops may have wires with the boots installed just use 7mm wire to fit the coil spike properly

keep and reinstall the little rubbers on the coil … I use some die lectric grease to keep moisture out

condensers testing with a ohmmeter is not fool proof it is basically only good to test for shorts or no short but the kick to infinity is reassuring ( read the latest AOMCI outborder magazine on condenser testing)

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 229
    Topics: 40

Thanks Crosby, there were no rubber boots on my wires where it connects to the coils .. Could I use some of that liquid electric tape stuff to seal the connection ?
    Just read through the article in the outboarder.. I’m not sure if my digital meter measures capacitance or not . I don’t have one of the coil/condenser testers either ..
    I’ll post a picture of the meter that I have . Maybe you could tell me if it can measure capacitance . Sorry for my ignorance and thank you for your patience..

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years

This is what I have ..

134D7C43-7772-4B05-AF5D-FEB08C5E6615

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Mumbles.

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3619
    Topics: 331

it won’t measure capacitance but remember meter testing is not as valueable as proper dynamic testing with voltages around 300 vdc to check if the inner foils are properly insulating the 2 foils

worst comes to worst if you suspect the condensers just buy new ones. hopefully they will be good ones 🙂

when I do not have the little coil boots I just screw the 7mm wire in with a dab of dilectric grease . you could always try heat shrink tubing over the screwed in wire/grease

carefull with liquid tape and stuff which may contain carbon particles

if grease won’t do for you, high voltage silicones are available to protect old style TV high voltages on the flyback transformers (25Kv !!!)

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years

I have dielectric grease.. I’ll use that ..

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

Your primary ohm readings are good but the Open Loop (infinite resistance) reading on the secondary windings means there is no continuity or your meter can’t read high enough. Where were you taking the secondary reading from, the pin inside the coil where the spark plug wire attaches or at the spark plug boot? A poor connection between the spring terminal inside the boot to the wires core can give a high ohm or OL reading. The secondaries should measure somewhere around 3.5 – 4 thousand ohms for those coils.

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years

Mumbles on the coils the secondary readings were 3.9 on one and 7.1 on the other . They did not go back to infinite res . I did do the test on the spike pin on the coil .. I should get some new 7mm plugwire tomorrow.. I’m not real confident on the old ones ..
    How does the ignition plate come off on this motor ? Does it just pull straight up ? I would like to do a little clean up before I install the new points and such ..

Samuel Phelps

US Member - 2 Years

How do you attach the plug wire to an end like this ?
    Does it solder on ?

dave-bernard

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2016
    Topics: 30

I would solder then crimp.

cajuncook1

Replies: 842
    Topics: 72

Those little ends should have small spikes that stick into the wire. Those little spikes make contact with the copper wire inside. You then shove the ends attached to the spark plug wire into the boot. You should see the little metal cup fully seated in the boot open when properly seated.

This YouTube video is not exactly what you have, but it should give you general idea.

Some people like to expose about 1/4 inch of the copper wire and bend it back on the spark plug wire. Then apply the crimp attachment for better contact. Then insert it into the boot as previously mentioned.

https://youtu.be/bEg63iRdjH4size

This is not my video, but random one i found on YouTube on the fly.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by cajuncook1.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by cajuncook1.
Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.