Home Forum Ask A Member Help getting my 67 Evinrude 3hp started

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Take some time to watch Cajun’s series of videos explaining these ignition systems. He’ll walk you right thru it from start to finish. He also has some vids on carbs which might be worth checking out.

https://youtu.be/oTN8Ag_aj-8

lindy46
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Part number for the fuel filter is 379635 or 594034. Several on eBay right now.

Steve D
        Participant

Not sure if those are superseded numbers or maybe just for the filter? but just going by the manual page the part number for the whole assembly is 277187, and ebay does have those also, if you decide not to do Mumbles nice fix. Or a member might have one for sale.

lindy46
          Participant

Oops -those are Johnson numbers. Don’t know if they are the same as Evinrude. I would suspect they are interchangeable.

frankr
            Participant

Johnson and Evinrude part numbers are the same, If the part is the same

Elecmuso
              Participant

OK so I a at the point where I know the carb needs attention Sure enough when I took the bowl off I found that the inlet was blocked. That’s fied but now I’m doing the rest of the carby.

I’m using this as a guide.
                https://outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Evinrude%203%20HP%20Lightwin%20Outboard%20Boat%20Motor/Evinrude%20Johnson%203%20HP%201952-1967%20Carburetor%20Tune-UP.htm

But not finding the high speed nozzle easy to remove and not wanting to damage it wondering if I should leave it. Any tricks to getting it out or alternatively cleaning it in situ?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Elecmuso.
                crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

clean it with carb cleaner and blow dry with air pressure …. if you don’t have a compressor buy a can of keyboard air cleaner at the Dollar store.

if… I say if …..you have a very thin stiff wire smaller than the diameter of the jet and the hole is plugged just clean out the passage with the wire to poke out the crud if any

you should see light from the crab bowl when looking into it

at this stage I would not recommend you try to unscrew it without the proper tool

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Are you trying to remove the fixed high speed jet, or the carb nozzle that is threaded into the center of the upper carburetor body? Like others have said, trying to remove the fixed high speed jet without the proper jet screwdriver usually results in damage to the jet and the threads….So, it may be best to soak the carb bowl in strong carb cleaner. Sometimes you can pass a small pipe cleaner through the fixed jet to help clean it also…
                    The main body nozzle simply threads into the body…Using a large screwdriver should easily remove it….If the nozzle is stuck also, I wouldn’t risk damaging it by forcing it out with the screwdriver. I would soak the upper body in strong carb cleaner as well…

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Have you cleaned out the fuel line, valve, adapter, and tank filter yet???

Elecmuso
                      Participant

Fleetwin
                        Yes I have a new fuel line, have thoroughly cleaned the valve / tap that screws into the tank (which was full of crud) and have ordered new inline fuel filter.
                        I’m not satisfied that my tank cleaning was adequate. I think I will use ‘nuts and bolts’ as per this video. Is that a reasonable way to provide the abrasion necessary to remove all the crud?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 85 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.