Home Forum Ask A Member Help getting my 67 Evinrude 3hp started

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Elecmuso
    Participant

carb

float

In the above 2nd photo the float at rest is not horizontal (motor inverted – gravity pulling float down / valve closed). Lifting float (ie. towards prop end) opens valve as confirmed by blowing into opening indicated by screwdriver. But putting bowl back on and screwing on results in float permanently closing the valve.

Guess that means I need to ‘adjust the level’ of the float but yet to find instructions on how to do this.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Elecmuso.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Bend it in the region of the small hole in the float arm.

If I am seeing it right, the clip is missing off the inlet needle, The clip in necessary to drag the needle off the seat when the float drops down

EDIT: That thing doesn’t look right. Very unusual to see a float that far off horizontal..

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by frankr.
        Elecmuso
        Participant

I watched a video just now in which the guy realised the washer that I’m indicating below with an arrow, was a bit thick. He changed his for a new one from his carb kit. I didn’t change the washer but I did tighten the valve seat a bit which has the float sitting a bit more horizontal, though still not quite there. If I tightened further I could probably compress the washer just enough, but how hard should I be tightening?

float2

Elecmuso
          Participant

The clip is on there just hard to see

float2-1

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Mumbles.
            wedgie
            Participant

I would replace the old cork float with a new plastic one.

Just snug up the valve seat firmly with a screwdriver that fits that slot as closely as possible. Don’t want to over tighten.

Adjust if necessary by using two sets of needle nose to bend the float arm. Needle nose in each hand ,grip the float arm fore and aft of where it contacts the valve needle and tweak it to level. . Fine adjustment is easier and more effective than any other way.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by wedgie.
              crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

The JW series of motors is extensively covered in the JOHNSON BIBLE at boat info

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html

why not take some time and read a bit to acquaint yourself with these small motors and the general knowledge of carburation and ignition the two most critical topics

all the info you need to know in that book print off what you need to a PDF file Carb float adjustments for the JW is in there starting at page 100

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html#/106

your “modern” JW has no HS adjustment …just a fixed jet behind the bottom 7/16 hex bolt at the bottom has stated above so just unscrew the bolt plug and clean out the jet has explained

the float MUST be parallel to the carb body held upside down

did you clear the air vent holes in the fuel cap ??

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

just posted some in on the “boat information” red book johnson bible place… and POOF everything went out the window

why is this still happening πŸ™ πŸ™ πŸ™

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

here goes again

see URL IN THE PICTURE all the info you need for your JW is there pages 100 and up in the johnson red book covers carbs for the JW

Elecmuso
                    Participant

So just got it started!. Fixing that float was one issue, the other was the plugs – they WERE connected around the wrong way.

After a few minutes it was purring at idle. A lot of smoke but I guess that is what you can expect at 25:1.

Thanks for all the help!

Now I know it can run I’ll properly refurbish it. I need:
                      Carby kit with float, needle valve and seat, float bowl gasket.
                      New gas tank tap (original one I have is a bit leaky).
                      I will need to check cooling system / impeller and probably a new one.

Suppose Ebay is the place for these. Please recommend a kit if you can – some have bad reviews.

BTW, this one is a suitcase / folding model. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool, glad it is running..Make sure it is cooling OK also….

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 85 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.