Home Forum Ask A Member Jw-22 gearcase

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    swamp yankee
    Participant

Ok, no matter what I do this will not sit flush, seems like it will if I tighten the screws, is that normal? The shaft did not seem bent when I cleaned it up.

C93E02B6-48BE-4FDC-B291-B739B5F14647

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
      Mumbles
      Participant

It could be your water tube isn’t sliding into the pumps grommet all the way. The tube should be sanded clean and lightly greased to help it slide in. Don’t force it as the tube is soft and will bend easily and might rub on the driveshaft, causing a major leak. Before assembling it, take a peak up the exhaust housing to make sure the tube isn’t bent. If it is, it can be straightened out with a wood dowel before putting it all back together.

swamp yankee
        Participant

It is most certainly bent, I thought it was supposed to be, I’m guessing I need to remove the entire power head to fix it?

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

no chance that extension is upside down would it ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

swamp yankee
            Participant

Don’t know, this is the first outboard I’ve really dug into, most of my small engine stuff has been on chainsaws.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It is most certainly bent, I thought it was supposed to be, I’m guessing I need to remove the entire power head to fix it?

It’s probably easiest to just remove the powerhead so the tube can be either straightened or replaced. But, you may be able to get up inside there to straighten it out, perhaps pulling the extension off will help…

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

no chance that extension is upside down would it ?

Good question, but I don’t think it can be installed upside down…One side has threads for the gearcase screws, the other side has open holes….

frankr
                  Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Notice the big gap at the aft end of the open space. The drive shaft in not entered into the crankshaft.

Mumbles
                    Participant

No, just reach in there with a stick or a dowel or something and you should be able to straighten it out. It is tight in there but you can do it without removing the powerhead.

crosbyman
                      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

try to slide a 1/2 inch pipe over it and bend it back straight as you progress towards the PH ….might work

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 32 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.