Home Forum Ask A Member Jw-22 gearcase

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Also, take the grommet out of the water pump housing and clean the corrosion out of the housing. The corrosion build-up between the housing and the grommet will cause the water tube to fit too tightly and bend the tube, rather than enter the grommet.

Long live American manufacturing!

swamp yankee
      Participant

That much I did do already, got in there with a pick and a really small flat head, also had to fish out a phillips head screw I noticed in the water intake area forward of the pump housing. Hopefully have some time tomorrow to get back at that tube.

swamp yankee
        Participant

Also, should I grease the spline above and around the o-ring on the top of the shaft?

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yes, smear some grease on the splines

Notice my previous post. That is why it won’t go together.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Frank is correct BUT please no grease on the top of the driveshaft & replace the o-ring, it holds grease on the splines. Run it dry & iy welds itself to the crankshaft….bad news
              Before retiring I serviced surgical tables. You would not believe cleaning makes assembly a breese. Take your time & get it right the first time.

frankr
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

To clarify, smear grease on the SIDES of the splines.

swamp yankee
                Participant

Ok, so, got the water tube straight and everything went back on, gear oil in, prop on, then I find this in the box under the other prop, might this be the “pilot ring” I don’t recall it coming out, but it has been a bit. Hard to tell where it fits in exactly from the diagram if that’s what it is.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Mumbles.
                  Mumbles
                  Participant

It might be the washer which goes between the prop and the prop nut.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

yep !! jw21 parts show a washer between the nut and front of the prop

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
                      • This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by crosbyman.
                      swamp yankee
                      Participant

There was a larger washer for that, been looking through the 67 and 59(donor motor) diagrams on marinengine, the lack of descriptions is not helpful

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by swamp yankee.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 32 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.