Home Forum Ask A Member OMC vs HF flywheel puller

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Author
    wetwillie
    Participant

My puller arrived this afternoon. That’s one serious puller! However, as much as I hate to admit it, I used it wrong. I positioned it with the flat side down vs up. Man, was that ever a mistake! I wound up bending one of the shouldered bolts that came with it because the bolt head was resting against the domed side. When I realized what I’d done, I positioned the puller properly and tried it again. I used the same bolts over again (my 2nd major mistake) because the bend was so slight. As you can imagine, I’m glad I was looking away when the bolt snapped at the shoulder. It took awhile but I was able to get the threaded section out of the flywheel. Thank you God!
      Next, I bought another set of bolts (Grade 8) and tried it again. I had a 2′ extension on both the breaker bar and the bar that goes into the side of the puller. All was going well until one of the new bolts snapped. I thanked God again that I was able to remove the piece that was still threaded into the flywheel.
      Unless someone has a suggestion, I thought I’d try it again with another set of new bolts of a higher grade. To increase my chance of success, I thought I’d try cooling off the end of the crankshaft with a can of compressed gas turned upside down after heating the flywheel up with a Bernzomatic torch.
      I look forward to any other ideas if someone has one.

chris-p
      Participant

How exactly are you doing it? How deep are you threading them in? I am by no means trying to belittle you, but perhaps doing something wrong. Are you threading the bolts in 7/16" deep? Ensuring the puller is perfectly level, before cranking on the center bolt?

wedgie
        Participant

That sucks. I don’t know if those shoulder bolts are available separately from OMC, or are available elsewhere like http://www.mcmaster.com/# or Fastenal

The bolts must pull straight up and evenly, and the top of the puller be perfectly parallel to the top of the flywheel . I would get 3 new 2 1/2 grade 8 bolts , make a mark at 7/16 ths and wind them in to the flywheel to that depth and no more. Make sure to use the correct washers too.

If you read back in this thread, you’ll see you are not the only one to have done the upside down thing. 😥

wedgie
          Participant

I think this is the one 😉 Better double check before you order 😕
            http://www.mcmaster.com/#91259a591/=13i03ic

this one is alloy steel. let me look some more

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Maybe this has already been said, but saying it again.

1. Use the shoulder bolts or thread Grade-8 bolts in 7/16"
              2. Tighten the puller as much as you dare without snapping the bolts.
              3. If it hasn’t popped off yet, RAISE the flywheel with a pry such as a large screwdriver (I didn’t say a 4′ crowbar)
              4. Strike the puller center bolt with a hammer. In necessary repeat 2, 3, and 4.

Bashing the snot out of it with a sledgehammer is not the way to strike it. It is the sharp whack that does it, not the mortal bash. And if you don’t hold the flywheel up (#3) the crankshaft has nowhere to go, so your hammer strike does no good.

vintin
              Participant

WetWilly,

Please loosen the flywheel nut first! 😆

I know you did.

wedgie
                Participant
                  wetwillie
                  Participant

LOL. Good idea, Dan, but the flywheel nut is loose enough to see daylight under it.

vintin
                    Participant

Just teasing you Al.

These guys are the best help you could hope for so hang in there, you’ll get that wheel off yet.

We missed you on Norris Lake Tuesday and Wednesday. Had some good cruising.

wetwillie
                      Participant

I figured as much. Sorry I wasn’t able to join you guys.

Now about all the responses to my update posted at 8:25. I really appreciate the number of responses and the helpful comments. I don’t feel belittled, Chris, but I appreciate you asking. 😉 Like an idiot? Yes. But that’s by my own doing and not from any of the responses.

I threaded the original bolts in, Wedgie, until the threads were no longer visible. Less than an inch would be my guesstimate. The puller was level and parallel, to the best of my ability, every time. I used an extra washer w/smaller ID under each washer to increase the surface area contacting the bolt head.

My 2nd mistake of the day was threading the replacement bolts in further than 7/16". Probably an inch total. FWIW, there was little to no resistance as I threaded them in. I doubt I damaged anything under the flywheel but won’t do it again. 7/16" from now on. 😉

Frank, I’ll get another set of Grade 8 bolts in the morning, thread them in 7/16", tighten the pulley bolt as far as I feel comfy with and, per your suggestion, give it a whack with a hammer. What do I pry the underside of the flywheel up against while I hit it?

THANKS to every one of you that has responded!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 88 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.