Home Forum Ask A Member 1954-55 Gale GG9016A Cant get to run right.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I got the subject motor to run but not well. I rebuilt the ignition, put new plugs in, cleaned the carb. (float seemed to be ok) It starts right up but will not idle and the high speed is a little rough. No matter how I set the high/low speed needles, the motor will sneeze and die out when approaching idle. I can easily start the motor up again but it will not maintain an idle. I thought it might be the fuel pump, so I bypassed it and got the same result. I replaced the carb with one from a 10 HP Evinrude and got the same result.

I then googled Gale 12HP motors and found this video on youtube. The second half of this video shows exactly what my motor is doing. The first half talks about an issue of his carb flooding out. I don’t have that issue. Skip that part and look at the video where his motor won’t idle either.

In the posts below the video, he says he found a hole in the exhaust plate causing water to leak into he bottom cylinder. I took the plate off and did not see any holes in the plate, nor any evidence of water in the bottom cylinder. Also, while the motor was running, I took off the top plug wire and the motor slowed down and shook. I then took off the bottom plug wire and the motor slowed down and shook just like the top cylinder. If water was leaking into one of the cylinders, would that not be a "dead cylinder" and pulling the plug wire do nothing then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyIDBa2fx1E

Can you please advise as to what might be the cause or what else I need to check?
      BTW, someone painted this motor camouflage. What color/s is is supposed to be? (assuming I can get it to run well)
      Thank you for your help
      Bill

bobw
      Participant

US Member

Assume your compression on both cylinders is good?
        Since you pulled both plug wires and got the same result, it sounds more like carburetor issue rather than ignition.
        Have you checked carb needles for wear or damage?
        Is carburetor and ignition properly linked and synched?

I believe your original colors for 1954-55 would be Buccaneer Bronze with Dull Aluminum trim. See colors at:
        http://effena-co-llc5.mybigcommerce.com/paint-gale/

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Bob, I changed the carb and got the same result. Both carbs are used but to have two carbs give the same problem? What are the odds. But to answer your question, I didn’t see any damaged needles and I replaced the packing as well.

bobw
          Participant

US Member

OK, forgot you said you had tried another carb with the same result. Have you checked reed plate to make sure the reeds aren’t damaged/broken and are seating completely?

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

huntleybill
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

No…didn’t check the reeds. I will try that.

jerry-ahrens
              Participant

US Member

What procedure are you using to adjust the high and low speed mixture needles?

frankr
                Participant

US Member

GG 9016A is a Wards Sea King number. So it is supposed to be Sea King colors, which I think were blue & white at that time. Video shows the blue

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

Lean sneeze at idle might be carb/spark sync. i.e. carb opening too soon. I think we know that "Will" guy that made the video. Seems like he would have found it if it is a sync problem though.

bobw
                    Participant

US Member

My mistake on the model number/color scheme – Frank is correct, it should be the appropriate Sea King colors.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

huntleybill
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                        quote FrankR:

GG 9016A is a Wards Sea King number. So it is supposed to be Sea King colors, which I think were blue & white at that time. Video shows the blue

Is there a picture of the color scheme for this motor?

quote Jerry Ahrens:

What procedure are you using to adjust the high and low speed mixture needles?

I set the needle initially to the specs of 1 1/4 turn out and 3/4 turn out. I then start the motor and adjust the high speed until the motor smooths out, then bring the motor speed down to idle and adjust the idle mixture till it runs well without sneezing. Except, I never get there with the idle adjustment.

quote FrankR:

Lean sneeze at idle might be carb/spark sync. i.e. carb opening too soon. I think we know that “Will” guy that made the video. Seems like he would have found it if it is a sync problem though.

I checked that. It is not spot on but very close to the mark.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 39 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.