Home Forum Ask A Member 1954-55 Gale GG9016A Cant get to run right.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Will do…hopefully I can get everything by the end of the week. Would like to run this motor next weekend.

huntleybill
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

UPDATE:
        I finally got the gaskets in and installed them. It doesn’t run much better! I have to have the choke almost all the way closed to get it to run. I noticed that there are bubbles coming out between the power head and exhaust tube, very near the seam of the block halves. I replaced the gaskets there so I am wandering if I got a leak between the block halves or a cracked block. Guess I will take the block apart tonight and give it a look see.

https://youtu.be/ngYdaJz0Oog

nj-boatbuilder57
        Participant

I am by no means an expert…..

….but it seems to me that if it runs with the choke closed, then air is getting "in" somewhere else. Proper air/fuel ratio (stoichiometry) is critical for ignition….and if you’re getting ignition with the normal air pathway "almost all the way closed", then I’d be looking for an "accidental" air path elsewhere.

labrador-guy
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

NJBB57, Just getting my two cents in here. I see that your motor has a fuel pump. Have you checked it for cracks or diaphragm split or assembled wrong? A bad pump will draw raw fuel directly into the crankcase and the motor will run poorly.

dale

huntleybill
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I took pump apart and it was ok. I also bypassed the pump at one point and it made no difference.

I took the power head apart this afternoon. I cleaned the surfaces, put a thin layer of sealant on and reassembled. Gonna let it dry over night and try it again. If this does not work, I have no idea what else to do. I’m all out of ideas after this.

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I watched your original utube video again. You should not have gas coming out the carb vent when you squeeze the gas line bulb. The needle seat should hold the pressure until the float lets more gas into the carb. Wondering is your fuel pump actually working? Maybe put the fuel tank on a ladder higher than the motor and give that a try. You have tried everything so there must be something you missed!

dale

huntleybill
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

After letting the sealant dry, I put the motor back in the tank and fired it up. I got the same result. No change in the poor running condition. I took the plugs out and looked at them. The bottom is clean, the top is black. I’m lost. I have no idea what is wrong with this motor.

cajuncook1
                  Participant

Bill, have you tried the drop cylinder test. Get the engine running for a minute or so, then pull the top spark plug. If the engine continues to run a bit rough then you have a good spark to the bottom cyliner, if not then investigate the ignition. Do the same to the bottom cylinder spark plug after you replace the top cylinder spark plug.

I have sworn ignition was good and failed the drop cylinder test. If ignition passes both drop cylinder test then investigate the carburetor again.

Cheers,

Cajun

huntleybill
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yup cajun…tried that. When I pull the plug wire on either cylinder, the motor slows down. Pulling either plug wire gives the same reaction.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.