Home Forum Ask A Member 1954-55 Gale GG9016A Cant get to run right.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Update: I checked compression 75psi both cylinders. I removed the plugs and found that the bottom plug is clean the top is black. Looks like I may have a leak afterall. I also checked the reeds. I have attached pictures. I don’t see anything wrong but I also don’t know what a bad reed looks like. What do you think?

Now I need to order gaskets for the reed cover, head gasket and the exhaust cover. Does anyone have the part numbers for these? I do not have a parts manual for this motor.

bobw
      Participant

US Member

If the bottom plug is clean then you may have water intrusion somewhere. You said you didn’t see any holes in the exhaust plate but the exhaust gasket could be leaking allowing water to enter the bottom cylinder – perhaps it started leaking after you first opened the exhaust cover to check for leakage?? It could also be a bad lower crankshaft seal allowing water to enter the bottom cylinder. Would have to pull the powerhead to check that out.

On your pictures of the reed plate, the right side of the pic (port side of the motor) looks OK but on the left side (starboard side of the motor) the bottom reed in the photo (at the 6 o’clock position) looks like it may not be fully seating against the plate. Can’t say that the loose reed is the sole cause of the trouble but it could be contributing along with water intrusion.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

chris-p
        Participant

I would highly recommend changing the lower crank seal while you are working on it. Water is usually getting in there or the exhaust gasket.

Shine a light under the reeds. As mentioned, I see quite a large gap on the 1 reed in the picture.

huntleybill
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You mentioned the reed plate at the 6:00 position…

I noticed that as well but was not sure is was an issue because wouldn’t that reed close fully on the compression stroke? Like I said, I have little experience with reeds. If that should sit plat, do I just bend it back? …or?

Anybody got part numbers for the lower crank seal and the gaskets mentioned above?

Thanks again for all your advice.

bobw
            Participant

US Member

It may or may not close fully. Had a friend whose motor wouldn’t run properly and we found a couple reeds that looked like yours. We took another set of reeds out of a donor motor he had and it ran fine after that. Don’t know that you can bend it back in place – usually better if you can replace it. Don’t have any part numbers for you on that motor. I’m sure somebody out there has a parts listing somewhere.

when you install new gaskets make sure to use gasket seal compound on the exhaust cover. Reed plate gasket should go on dry.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
              1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
              1958 Johnson QD-19
              1958 Johnson FD-12
              1959 Johnson QD-20

huntleybill
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                quote bobw:

when you install new gaskets make sure to use gasket seal compound on the exhaust cover. Reed plate gasket should go on dry.

Good info…thank you

bobw
                Participant

US Member

This head gasket may fit your motor. Compare your existing gasket with this one.

https://www.vintageoutboard.com/collect … ead-gasket

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

crowsbeak
                  Participant

Huntley,
                    If you search the forum for 12S12b parts manual there is a post in that topic thread with the parts manual linked to it. I can’t figure out how to link to that specific post.
                    I have this same motor and can’t get it to idle very well either.

1954 Evinrude 7.5 HP
                    1954 Evinrude 15 HP
                    1954 Gale 12 HP
                    1956 Gale 12 HP
                    1956 Evinrude 5.5 HP
                    1960 Evinrude 18 HP
                    1973 Johnson 6 HP

bobw
                    Participant

US Member

Found this service manual that might be helpful.

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

bobw
                      Participant

US Member

Sorry, forgot link.

http://richardlpaquette.ca/GaleProducts … Manual.pdf

Bob

1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 39 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.