Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Gale mfg Hiawatha 3 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    elfritzer
    Participant

I recently purchased a 3 hp Gambles Hiawatha. Mfg in 1954. I got it running, but I see no telltale water coming out while running. I found a video of the same motor on You Tube and it shows water intermitantly spitting out of a hole in the side of the lower unit. The problem is that there is no hole in the side of my lower unit for this to occur. The water pump seems to be working, because water is leaking a small amount from the housing where the spark plug mounts. I do not want to ruin this motor, but I can’t figure out where the water to cool the motor is supposed to spit out after cooling the motor. Any help ?

cajuncook1
      Participant

Can you post a picture or a video of where the water is coming on your motor?

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

I "think" the water is suppose to blow out the exhaust relief slots,
          but if the lower rubber mount on the swivel tube is worn,
          a lot of water will leak out the joint below the stern bracket.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

elfritzer
          Participant

The water leaks out of the cover that screws on to the head where the spark plug goes into the head. I’m kinda confused because the video on you tube is a motor identical to my own and is listed as a 1954. The video shows a hole in the side of the lower unit that spits water out intermittantly. My lower unit has no such hole, and I cannot find any other place where water might spit out. I have pretty much torn the whole thing apart. I have the manual, and it shows a water tube between the two halves of the lower unit, but I can’t find one. Motor runs nice, but I am afraid to run it if all I am going to do is burn it up. When I got the motor at a garage sale, the guy threw in another lower unit, the same color, but as far as I can figure, it is for the 5 hp model the same year. ( 5hp and a couple other models). Does not look like it would join up or replace the unit on the motor. Thoughts? I’ll look up what the part is called in the diagrams, ( where it is leaking water )

elfritzer
            Participant

I can check the exhaust relief slots, but it seems I poked them and they appeared solid. I will check again. The diagram I have is from Gale manual and it shows the water tube, but I don’t have one, and the video shows water spurting out the side where I have no hole. There was no rubber gasket between the two lower halves when I took it apart. Only rubber is inside the housing.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

What buccaneer said, the water gets blown out the exhaust relief slots in the back. I don’t know what other hole you are talking about.

There is a short water tube, but you can’t see it without removing the lower unit from the upper part of the leg–usually difficult to do. Noting to be concerned about anyway. The water cover on the cylinder is just that, a cover. It is not a cylinder head.

The water pump rotor is almost always swollen and ruined by grease leaking out of the gearcase. Club member Brian Wilcox makes new ones.

I have 9 or 10 of those motors at last count.

frankr
                Participant

US Member

The seal mentioned is #15. I’d say that at least half of mine are leaking to some extent. All that does is allow more water to slobber out. Hey you were looking for water slobbering out anyway–weren’t you?

elfritzer
                  Participant

Not the motor I have. This one says viking, mine says Hiawatha and has the rewind mounted on top. I’d put a pic, but having trouble with that at this time. The diagram you sent is pretty much the same as the one I have. Where the water is leaking out is a cast alum cap that mounts to pn 22 in diagram right where the spark plug is. It has two little arms that come out, similar to the single arm on diagram pn 22. Looks like they would hold a bolt that held something that swiveled on that pivot point.

elfritzer
                    Participant

The exhaust relief slots are just solid, only decoration, they are solid. Tried putty knife and utility knife, the slots do not go through. I had the two lower halves apart and there was no water tube. The two parts of the lower unit are lined with rubber with a cross shaped area for the driveshaft to go through. I’m confused.

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

I am quite aware what you have. Did I mention I have ten of them? The Viking I posted is a 1958, same motor as yours except for the different recoil starter shape. The starter was changed in 1956-up. Gale made these with a whole bunch of brand names, Viking and Hiawatha are only two of them. All the same motors with different paint and decals.

The water cover on 22 is just what I said. Gale did not approve of removing it because it is hard to reseal. That is why it isn’t shown on the parts diagram. But we all know it can be done. The ears are for the screws that hold the lower cowling on.

If you look up inside the bottom end of the post that extends down from the crankcase, you will see two water tubes that are cast into the tube from there on up to and through the crankcase to the cylinder. Below this level, the water tube is a separate copper pipe extending down to the foot. I guess you probably can see it down in there with a flashlight.

I can’t understand why you say the slots don’t go through. They just do, and that’s that. Unless you have one in a million that was made on Monday morning.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 41 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.