Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Gale mfg Hiawatha 3 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    elfritzer
    Participant

OK , sorry, I just thought the picture you sent was the motor you were talking about. I have had this motor apart , every piece except the carb, and there are no tubes to carry water to the upper, but it is obviously getting there somehow, as evidenced by the water leaking out from what you call the cap, a part that is not on the exploded diagram. It makes sense that the side covers would mount on there, I just hav’nt put them back on. And seriously, the slots do not go through the lower unit housing, they are just a groove that does not go through. I stuck a utility knife in there, and it would not go through to anywhere. I assume that the cap should be sealed to the cylinder head, what should I use? Silicone, or should I have my wife make me a gasket? She made me a head gasket on her card making machine! It was perfect. All she did was scan and it cut the gasket out perfectly. I really appreciate your help! Did you see the video on You Tube that shows the water spitting out the side of the lower unit housing? My motor does not have that hole, but the motor looks identical to mine. Do all of your motors spit out the side, or does it come out the exhaust ports? THANKS

elfritzer
      Participant

Sorry, I thought the picture you sent was a different motor. I have tried to force a utility knife into the slots, they are solid. I have taken every piece of this motor apart except the carb. There were no water tubes when I took it apart. The inside of both halves of the lower housing have a rubber gasket lining that runs vertically and has a cross shaped cutout for the driveshaft. I assume that the water is getting to the head, because I did not seal the cap that goes over the spark plug, the one that is not on the diagram, and that leaks water. Maybe if that was sealed, it would force water out somewhere where I could see it. . What should I seal it with? Or should I have my wife make me a gasket on her card making machine? She made me a head gasket that fits perfectly. Scan and cut. There are no copper tubes anywhere. Did you see the video on You Tube of the 1954 Gale Hiawatha? The water spits out the side of the lower unit housing. Do your motors do the same, do they spit out the exhaust slots, or a combination thereof? I really appreciate your help, this is my first motor.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I think I found the video you are speaking of. By Frank Lenz, right? I can guaran-dang-tee you that none of my motors have that side hole. I think he or somebody else drilled that.

ALL my motors spray out the slots.

If your motor is leaking water out of the cylinder cover, it has the water tube in place. It just can’t get up there except though the tube.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Look at the cut-away view that buccaneer posted. See where the arrow named anti-cavitation plate points? Do you have it apart at that seam? If you do not, you can’t see the water tube.

elfritzer
            Participant

I had the two lower halves separated. I had the driveshaft out and everythin, I mean everything torn apart, I see no water tube whatsoever. I do have pretty good vision, and glasses, but believe me, there is no copper tube of any kind. Yes, the video shows the water shooting out the side, maybe he figured out that was a good fix to the problem I am having. It seems the water is getting to the top, evidenced by the water leaking out the cover, but I cant figure how the water is getting to that point because there is no hole in the cylinder head to let water in or out of that point.Must have been the last motor made before the whistle blew on Friday.

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

On the Gale 5 hp models of that era, the water pump passages are
                built into the driveshaft housing and swivel tube. There is no
                separate copper tube. I’m guessing the 3 hp is the same way.

Prepare to be boarded!

elfritzer
                Participant

Thanks Buccaneer! Does this mean I can run it for more than a couple of minutes? Still don’t know what to seal the cap with. Maybe sealing it will force water out somewhere. What should I use? Does the 5 hp spit out the exhaust slots on the back of the lower unit? If so, how does the water circulate around the cylinder head? It doesn’t make sense, what I am seeing. 😕

Buccaneer
                  Participant

US Member

I’ll look and see if I have one of those lower units apart, if so,
                    I’ll take photos.

quote elfritzer:

Thanks Buccaneer! Does this mean I can run it for more than a couple of minutes? Still don’t know what to seal the cap with. Maybe sealing it will force water out somewhere. What should I use? Does the 5 hp spit out the exhaust slots on the back of the lower unit? If so, how does the water circulate around the cylinder head? It doesn’t make sense, what I am seeing. 😕

Prepare to be boarded!

Buccaneer
                    Participant

US Member

Here’s a 5 hp Gale lower unit taken apart. The brown motor is a 1954 Buccaneer 3 hp,
                      and to the best of my recollection, it works the same way.

The first photo shows where the water comes up from the water pump rotor
                      and makes a 90 deg. turn into the space between driveshaft housing and tube
                      that bolts to the power head.

Second photo shows the notch and hole in the tube that has an internal passage up to
                      the power head.

Third photo shows where the water exits the tube and enters the power head.
                      (red "up" arrow)
                      The two red "down" arrows shows where water leaves the power head, goes under
                      the plate, and back into the tube.

The fourth photo shows the holes in the tube where water exits into the area
                      where the "slots" are, and blows out there, along with a little exhaust, I believe.

Hope yours is the same. If not, I’m clueless!

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

elfritzer
                      Participant

Very interesting, but my motor slots are solid and there are no holes in the inner shaft like shown in your photos.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 41 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.