Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Gale mfg Hiawatha 3 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    elfritzer
    Participant

Also, the whole inner of the lower unit is almost solid rubber, except for a cross shaped channel that the driveshaft fits into. Can’t remember if it’s in this post or a video I watched, but one guy said there is a hole just below the carb adjustment where water spits out. I don’t have a hole there either. Is it possible that the water spits out w the exhaust under water?

elfritzer
      Participant

Just a note, the upper part of the driveshaft was really caked w exhaust leftovers, is that pretty normal?

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I’ts time you post some pictures, since you are describing something unknown to exist.

elfritzer
          Participant

You are so right. When I get my ancient computer to recognize my camera and/or cell phone, then I will completely tear this motor apart and send some pictures. Stay tuned……..

cajuncook1
            Participant

If you have issues getting your PC to connect with your phone, then use your smaRT phone. Send it to your pc via email or use your smart phone and load up to the post directly as an attachment.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

I think the solid rubber you see is the water pump rotor. It swells up when exposed to oil and that keeps it from pumping. . . 😉

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Oh, THAT solid rubber!! That makes sense.

fisherman6
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I hope the pictures come pretty soon. I want to see the solid slots. I keep thinking maybe they are just caked shut with carbon or something. I believe if there are any slots visible then they have to go thru. I believe these were machined into a plain casting when manufactured and if they did not go thru there would be no sign at all of them. I’ve been wrong plenty of times. Maybe this is one of them.
                    -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

elfritzer
                    Participant

Dad burn my butt. You guys are right, the slots do go through! I was ready to hacksaw the ports, but I tried a razor blade first, and it broke through. THE CARBON DEPOSITS WERE PLUGGED THICK. I FINISHED THE JOB WITH A DENTAL PICK AND GOT INSIDE AND SCRAPED A LITTLE MORE THAN THE SLOT. I am still wondering about the leak from the cover, and what I should seal it with. The solid rubber is not the water pump, as pictured. The rubber lines the inside of the lower unit and runs vertically, like I said. Not sure if I want to tear it down just to get a picture. Going to fire it up tomorrow to check the telltale

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

There are a number of gasket eliminators and flange sealants available at your local auto parts store. Locktite 518 Gasket Eliminator comes to mind.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 41 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.