Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Gale mfg Hiawatha 3 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    cajuncook1
    Participant
      quote elfritzer:

Dad burn my butt. You guys are right, the slots do go through! I was ready to hacksaw the ports, but I tried a razor blade first, and it broke through. THE CARBON DEPOSITS WERE PLUGGED THICK. I FINISHED THE JOB WITH A DENTAL PICK AND GOT INSIDE AND SCRAPED A LITTLE MORE THAN THE SLOT. I am still wondering about the leak from the cover, and what I should seal it with. The solid rubber is not the water pump, as pictured. The rubber lines the inside of the lower unit and runs vertically, like I said. Not sure if I want to tear it down just to get a picture. Going to fire it up tomorrow to check the telltall.

Have you had the front portion of the gear case apart to visualized the rotor (water pump)? Do you have good service manual for your motor?

Cajun

Here is a condensed pdf service manual. Shows water flow and to get to the water pump/ rotor.

elfritzer
      Participant

The water pump is the smallest thing I could ever imagine. The xtra lower unit that came with the motor when I bought it is for ( I think ) the same year 5-10 or 12 hp and it has a very nice water pump compared to this 3 hp

elfritzer
        Participant

And Cajun, thanks for the info! I have had every single piece of this motor apart, my first one, and I think I did OK for a first shot. I got straight A’s in both semesters of small engines in college, but I always had to get my buddy Rich to get them going after I re-built them! He could go over to my project that had failed to start numerous times, adjust a couple of things, and Bang Zoom, RUNNING! That was not me, so I think I have had a small success here.

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, I’m glad to get to see the exhaust relief slots do go through. I was afraid they were just packed solid with carbon. I’m looking forward to hearing what happens with the tank test next. Great job cleaning that up!
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

cajuncook1
            Participant
              quote elfritzer:

And Cajun, thanks for the info! I have had every single piece of this motor apart, my first one, and I think I did OK for a first shot. I got straight A’s in both semesters of small engines in college, but I always had to get my buddy Rich to get them going after I re-built them! He could go over to my project that had failed to start numerous times, adjust a couple of things, and Bang Zoom, RUNNING! That was not me, so I think I have had a small success here.

No problem, that is what our club is about. We all had our first motor and learned along the way. Those little Gale 3hp are a blast to work on and when properly maintained are great little runners.

If you need a very detailed comprehensive motor manual for your motor, then here is link to one. The link is from Richard’s Viking outboard site. Vikings are Gale motors with Eaton’s brand name "Viking" on them.

http://richardlpaquette.ca/GaleProducts … Manual.pdf

Here is a owners manual for 3D12V. Yours is a 3D11 Gale model, basically the same motor except decals and maybe cowl parts.

Post video or picture when you get her running!!

Cheers,

Cajuncook1

elfritzer
              Participant

Well, I finally got back to the motor, and it is still not pumping water. Can I get a new water pump rubber? Still do not have a copper or brass tube anywhere inside lower unit, so I’m not sure what to do there. This motor came with a partial lower unit the same color, but it looks like it fits the next size motor up { 5 hp to maybe 12 hp } from what I can tell from the manuals. Wonder if the guy was thinking about using that unit on the 3 hp, it has a much more substantial water pump and an extra rubber impeller {?}. Guess I will have to do something, but I’m not sure what yet.

elfritzer
                Participant

Photo of spare lower unit

elfritzer
                  Participant

Close up of pump, no tube in this lower either

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Heh, heh, funny.

Nevertheless, here is the water tube in a Gale 3hp. If yours doesn’t have one, somebody removed it

elfritzer
                      Participant

Very interesting, but my lower unit does not come apart at a torpedo shaped joint. Also, if I take the upper apart soon , and I find a place to put a copper tube, where does it plug into the bottom? My water pump is just a teeny thing. It appears to have some clearance on the excentric, how big is the gap supposed to be? If it needs to be bigger, can I just drill out the rubber part?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 41 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.