Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson FD-12 18 HP help needed

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I agree with Mumbles, don’t think those welds are there to repair freeze cracks…Freeze cracks/damage usually occur in the skeg, where the water collects. I’m thinking the gears let go at some point and split the case open…
      Is the gear lube clean/water free? If so, I would not mess with it….Don’t grind the weld down for reasons mentioned before…
      I would just use and enjoy it the way it is if it works OK…Opening up that case might reveal things you would rather not know…

desert-troller
      Participant
        quote fleetwin:

I agree with Mumbles, don’t think those welds are there to repair freeze cracks…Freeze cracks/damage usually occur in the skeg, where the water collects. I’m thinking the gears let go at some point and split the case open…
        Is the gear lube clean/water free? If so, I would not mess with it….Don’t grind the weld down for reasons mentioned before…
        I would just use and enjoy it the way it is if it works OK…Opening up that case might reveal things you would rather not know…

Check out my post dated 6-11-17 and see what happened when I opened it up. I could use some experienced advice on the other questions I have there.

johng
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The maroon starter bracket is for 25-35and 40 hp. It is not for any of the 15-18 motors. Stan in Ohio

desert-troller
          Participant
            quote JOHNG:

The maroon starter bracket is for 25-35and 40 hp. It is not for any of the 15-18 motors. Stan in Ohio

Thanks for the answer, appreciate it.

jeff-register
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I own a 58/18hp E start. PM me, photos I can send. Came that way. You got a deal on that. Replace the crank seals though,

desert-troller
              Participant

I have one of these brackets that I would like to do some horse-trading for a FDE-12 electric start bracket or a electric start bracket that fits a FE-12 1958 Johnson. Anybody know of one that I can buy or barter for? Straight across for the bracket or bracket and money? I know you guys know someone that knows someone that just may have what I want. PLEASE HELP a newb that wants to get this motor running w/electric start. I’m not real knowledgeable about older OMC/Johnson motors to know what interchanges and what doesn’t from different years and sizes but I do know you experienced guys have that knowledge.Give me some feedback please! Maybe a finder’s fee????
                Thanks for all the help you have given me, much appreciated!!

opposedtwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Have you tried putting an ad on the webvertizer? That’s the best way to get exposure to the most people in our club.

I would not try to convert it to electric start if i were you. It is very difficult to find all the parts you’ll need to do it correctly. You’ll need:
                  -the internal wiring harness
                  -a geared flywheel
                  -the lower front pan to accomodate the internal wiring harness
                  -a starter
                  -the starter bracket
                  -a choke solenoid assembly
                  -the external wiring harness (that goes from the dash and battery to the motor)
                  -a dash plate with a starter and a choke switch
                  -junction box and starter solenoid

To find all these parts you’ll easily wind up spending $200-$300 and it’ll probably come at the expense of a factory electric start motor that only needs some magneto and carb work. Thus nullifying the "preservation" aspect of our club.

The FD 18 horse is an extremely easy motor to pull over and start. And while i agree the electric start is a unique feature with a cool factor that’s hard to quantify, attempting a true and complete conversion is a fool’s errand. If you really want an electric start 18, put an ad on the webvertize and keep your eyes open. One will eventually show up. In the meantime, run the heck out of that manual start 18 and have a blast with it!

Just my 2 cents
                  Scott

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.