Home Forum Ask A Member 1960 15HP Gale Buccaneer Sea King

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    pattenat
    Participant

Hello AOMCI 😉 We recently purchased the captioned outboard motor for our 16′ aluminum fishing boat. (more info: GG8823A, 15D10B)

Motor runs in start position, but won’t stay running when throttled down to an idle or powered up. After a good cleaning (carb) hubby is having trouble dialing in/setting the carburetor for the air/gas mixture. Can anyone help with dialing in the carb settings? Please!

And a question of my own…..we also have a 5HP Briggs and Stratton Air Cooled outboard motor that we cannot find ANYONE to service. Any ideas on that? Small engine (lawn mower) repair shops won’t service it they don’t do boat motors and boat repair shops will not fix it they don’t service lawn mower engines…… 🙄 We are in the Detroit, MI area.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

Regarding the Gale- According to this manual, both the high and low speed
        initial carb adjustments are 3/4 turn opened (from the closed position)

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
        Participant

US Member

Have you inspected the ignition system? It is almost guaranteed that the coils are shot (cracked) unless they have already been replaced. You are wasting your time dinking around with the carburetor if you haven’t checked the ign.

Interesting, that lawn mower shops won’t touch your B&S. Don’t know what to say on that. Guess you gotta fix it yourself.

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

FYI: On that air cooled outboard, many air cooled outboards do have a water pump if they have underwater exhaust to keep the exhaust housing cool – I’ve seen a lot of people claiming their air cooled motor is overheating and don’t know there is a water pump – which has quit working. Good luck on finding someone to work on it. We find that most marine shops don’t want to work on any outboard that’s over 15 or 20 years old now. Their techs aren’t trained on them and they don’t stock parts. Some will just quote a huge $$ estimate to make you go away…..or….buy a new motor. Lawn mower shops don’t have a test tank to run them in.
            Dave

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Is the carburetor cleaning the only service that has been done to this outboard since you have owned it? If not, I would recommend a full tune up service to make it a good reliable runner again. As you saw in Frank R’s post, if the coils are still original, they probably look like those pictured. Those will have to be replaced. If they have been replaced in the past they are likely OK. I would still replace the points, condensers, spark plugs, and plug wires. Rebuild the carburetor with a new kit unless it already has the newer style plastic float. Replace the fuel lines and water pump impeller. Check the lower unit for water in the gearcase oil. If there is water it will need to be re-sealed. I have the 1962 version and it is an excellent motor. I ended up having to replace both upper and lower crankshaft seals in mine as well as the ignition system and fuel system. Well worth the work though.

As for the B&S, they are pretty simple engines. I am not sure if that one has a water pump or not, but I don’t think it does. I believe it just uses a shielded above water muffler and therefore no need to keep the motor leg cool. If one has no experience working on small engines at all, it may be a challlenge. With any experience, though, it is just a mower on a stick. What is it not doing?
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

pattenat
              Participant

First and foremost let me start by saying, "Damn you guys are awesome!" I’ve been snooping around the forum for over a week now and told hubby I’m just going to get on and ask and you have far out done yourselves! Thank you!

I’m going to give the "list" to hubby, yes, he does have experience with small engines, big ones too 😉 I wouldn’t have let him get a boat if he didn’t 😎

I know the carburetor was rebuilt last year (according to the man we bought it from), new fuel lines, new spark plugs, new water pump impeller, the lower unit is sound he’s done that since we’ve took ownership, the rest he will have to check and/or recheck but it’s a good direction.

The B&S does not have a water pump that he’s aware of. He thinks it may need a new fuel filter it’s not getting any gas and we know the fuel line from tank to engine is good so it’s falling on it’s face from there. He’s more enthusiastic about tackling the 15HP than the 5HP right now. So we can come back to the B&S at a later date. However, good to know it’s just a mower on a stick (lol!!) He shouldn’t have a problem then. I think he just wanted to a bigger engine to be frank. I would still like to get it running, we can always sell it.

In the interim, thank you everyone! We’ll let you know how it all pans out.

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Very good! Hope to hear back soon. I would also be more enthusiastic about the 15. That Gale 15 is a very good outboard and far superior to the B&S 5 horse. Not sure where you are near Detroit. I’m SW of Ann Arbor. I may be able to offer some pointers if needed.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

pattenat
                  Participant

Ok guys after hubby studied manual :geek: that Buccaneer so graciously provided a link to (Thank You!) We have ordered new coils, ignition rebuild kit and carburetor rebuild kit (just in case). We were told it was rebuilt last year but we wanted to have the parts on hand just in case he gets in there to find different. Baby wants a boat 😀

Fisherman6 we’ll keep you close to heart, we’re in the Redford/Livonia area. May have to offer you a good grilled steak dinner and gas $ in turn for a hand….that’s if you’d be willing of course. I’d offer a walleye dinner but we need a boat/motor LOL Stay tuned please :mrgreen:

If there’s any tips and tricks that he may want to watch for now would be a good time to share. 😉

Have an awesome weekend guys!

Mumbles
                    Participant

One member has made a series of videos explaining in detail how to work on the carbs and ignition systems found on OMC built motors. You will find them invaluable if you have limited experience working on these motors.

https://www.youtube.com/user/cajuncookone/videos

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Best advice I can offer before you tear into it is to use a proper puller to remove the flywheel. On a 15 horse, a harmonic balancer puller should work OK. Just use a puller that engages the three 1/4-20 tapped holes around the center of the flywheel. Do not try to use an arm type puller that grabs the outer edge of the flywheel.

While you are rebuilding the magneto, replace the spark plug wires with new 7mm copper core hi-tension wires (not carbon core automotive wires) or at very least clip the ends of the existing wires to expose fresh copper for the coil and plug terminal comnections.

Livonia / Redford is just a little over an hour away. If you run into a need, let me know. We could possibly work out a time you could bring it to me also. I have the coil setting ring and the timing tool. It can certainly be done without those. I have done many with an eyeball and a .020" feeler gauge but the factory tools make it a factory job.

Cajun’s videos are very good and will probably walk you right through the process with no problems at all. You can always send me a PM with specific questions too or exchange phone numbers if talking through it would help. This is a great club with lots of very helpful and knowledgeable folks willing to lend a hand.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 36 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.