Home Forum Ask A Member 1960 15HP Gale Buccaneer Sea King

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    markpatty72
    Participant

Where does the cooling water exit? Should it come out the upper exhaust hole or down by the prop?
      I’ve read where old outboards should use two cycle chainsaw oil instead of marine two cycle oils or synthetics. Can anybody tell me The correct oil and correct ratios? After perusing other threads I see there are many opinions. Where can I find the original ratios?
      Thank you,
      Mark

pattenat
      Participant

So…..we had the boat out for the first time yesterday afternoon and I have to say, "THANK YOU BEN (FISHERMAN6)!!!!!!!"

Your kindness, as well as the kindness on this forum is a rarity these days. Both, Mark and I are so grateful we cannot even begin to express how much. We both love the water immensely and Ben, all of your help and teaching will allow us to escape the everyday "life" stuff for years to come and I thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Mark is looking forward to some new fishing stories 😉

outbdnut2
        Participant

US Member

quote markpatty72:

Where does the cooling water exit? Should it come out the upper exhaust hole or down by the prop?
          I’ve read where old outboards should use two cycle chainsaw oil instead of marine two cycle oils or synthetics. Can anybody tell me The correct oil and correct ratios? After perusing other threads I see there are many opinions. Where can I find the original ratios?
          Thank you,
          Mark

That is not an exhaust hole, it’s a cooling water exit, but because there is a thermostat that opens a bit as needed after warm up, you will see no water discharge initially and just a spray and steam later, but when it’s up and running wide open, you may see more of a stream along with the steam. The thermostat was added to get consistant idle at various water and air temperatures. There is no "tell-tale" water stream to tell you the water pump is pumping. To see if these OMC thermostat motors are cooling properly, I dip my hand in the water and flick some of it on the top of the engine block and heads – if it doesn’t pop/spit/boil, it’s cooling properly. It may sometimes boil when it hits the exhaust port cover.
          Dave

outbdnut2
          Participant

US Member

Opps forgot to answer your oil question. I don’t know where you heard not to use marine oils. The correct ratio is 24 to 1 for a 1960 OMC motor and use of today’s TCW3 rated outboard oils (all outboard oil today is TCW3 rated) is great and, back then, the manufacturer said you can also use SAE30 non-detergent oil in place of outboard motor oil. Back in the 1960s SEA30 is all we used in Dad’s 1960 40 HP and 1965 60 HP Johnsons, and we had no trouble running 200 gallons per summer at the cabin. Synthetic outboard oil should also work fine and may smoke a bit less.

FYI: TCW3 stands for Two-Cycle Watercooled, and the 3 is the current revision of the spec it has to meet. Now it’s NOT good to use TCW3 in Chainsaws and other air cooled 2-cycle motors, so maybe you got the story reversed.

Now when you say "Marine Oil" if you mean oil marketed by motor manufacturers for the crankcase of 4-stroke motors, do not use that – it is essentially the same as 10W30 automotive oil.
            Dave

markpatty72
            Participant

Thank you, Dave. That explains why didn’t see water coming out exhaust. Motor only ran for a minute or so.
              Thanks for the info on oil ratio’s.

markpatty72
              Participant

Since the motor has a bushing bearing at the bottom of the crank, I will run Marine two cycle oil at 24 to 1.

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Sorry, but there is no thermostat on a 15hp Gale motor. There should be a healthy spray any time it is running.

outbdnut2
                  Participant

US Member
                    quote FrankR:

Sorry, but there is no thermostat on a 15hp Gale motor. There should be a healthy spray any time it is running.

Opps – sorry! I thought all OMCs above 3 HP had thermostats by 1960.

markpatty72
                    Participant

Thank you for the update about no thermostat.
                      Removed foot. Impeller was flexible. Reassembled it carefully but could not see if the grommet from the water pump outlet actually fit over the water pipe. Ran engine at idle with water “ears” over the water intake. No spray from exhaust. Threw some water on the head to see if it would boil. It did, but, engine slowed and steam came out the exhaust. What the heck, over? Repeated water on head. Same result. I forced the water ears closed hopefully to the force water into the engine cooling jacket. Large cloud of steam and very hot water came from the exhaust but not much. Ran at Medium speed. No increase in water from the exhaust.
                      Question; even though the impeller is flexible is it possible it is not pumping? Question 2;is it possible water is being sucked in through the head gasket even though the engine is running well.

markpatty72
                      Participant

By the way, it runs very well On 24 to 1 Two cycle synthetic marine oil with no smoke.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 36 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.