Home Forum Ask A Member 1960 15HP Gale Buccaneer Sea King

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member

Stop right there. In the first place, you cannot test a water pump by running on muffs. The pump is not pumping when you are doing that, only allowing hose water to pass through. Besides, muffs do not work on that motor anyway.

Get it on a boat, on the lake and see if it works. And if it doesn’t, shut it off and don’t be letting it get that hot. Depending on how hot you let it get, you may have already damaged it.

I would have replaced that impeller, even though it looked good. Seen LOTS of those "looking good" impellers shed their vanes.

Mumbles
      Participant

Try running it again with the lower end of the motor submerged in water and see if water comes out the idle relief port on the rear of the motor. If it doesn’t, the motor isn’t deep enough in the water or the copper water tube might not be inserted into the pump correctly. No water, shut it off right away and find the problem. Using an old oil drum or large garbage can full of water will ensure the motor is deep enough.

To get the water tube aligned correctly, clean off any corrosion and lightly grease it and the rubber grommet it goes in on top of the water pump. You might want to have someone give you a hand when reinstalling the gearcase as three things have to be aligned correctly before tightening the bolts. They would be the driveshaft splines, the shift rod, and the water tube. Quite often I hold a small flashlight in my teeth so I can see the water tube aligning correctly with the pump. Sometimes a wire hook is needed to do this. Bright colored nail polish will help to get the shift rod aligned correctly.

Attachments:

hans
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Come to our lunch, bring motors, we often do.
          Lots of experience with 7 to 15 AOMC members attending.
          we have show and tell and eat.

I used to live at Joy and T-graf. now in Adrian.
          Hans five 17 26 three three 6 six 6
          copy of our lunch notice:

August 9 th 11:15 to ??????
          show and tell and eat
          I hope to see you all there

House of Leon
          29041 7 Mile Rd
          Livonia, MI 48152
          Phone number(248) 478-3710

It is near corner of 7 mile and Middlebelt

markpatty72
          Participant

My last post seems to have disappeared so I will post again.
            I assume what I wrote was on a previous page that disappeared when the login screen popped up after I hit "Submit".
            Anyway, Thank you FrankR and Mumbles for your response.
            Hopefully I did not hurt the engine.
            Thank you for the bright nail polish idea. I will use it.
            I was unable to see the grommet and water tube line up because when they match up it is too far up into the cavity. I will paint the end of the water pump grommet with water based paint from my grand kids paint kit next time I disassemble which I suspect will be right after the lake checkout.
            My kids gave me a LED headlamp for my birthday that is as bright as the old slide projector lamps. That should tell you something about when I was born.
            Next stop is the lake.
            Thank you again.

@Hans
            . I wish I could attend but live way down south. I was born in Grant back when the assisted living place in Grant was a hospital. Fond memories of the spring summer and fall and the lake.

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote pattenat:

So…..we had the boat out for the first time yesterday afternoon and I have to say, “THANK YOU BEN (FISHERMAN6)!!!!!!!”

Your kindness, as well as the kindness on this forum is a rarity these days. Both, Mark and I are so grateful we cannot even begin to express how much. We both love the water immensely and Ben, all of your help and teaching will allow us to escape the everyday “life” stuff for years to come and I thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Mark is looking forward to some new fishing stories 😉

Natalie and Mark,

You guys are both very welcome and I’m so glad I was able to help you out and get you on the water again. When I get a chance I’ll get that Briggs going and make a video. I have a lot of projects so it may be a little while, but I’ll get it going again. It was nice to see you both again yesterday. I had a hard time keeping up on the forum when I was in Tomahawk. I’m just making my way through the posts today as I get a few minutes here and there. Again, you are very welcome. If you have any other issues or questions about your motor, just ask and I’ll do my best to help you out. 🙂
              -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

amuller
              Participant

Briggs did not make those outboards for very long. But the last time I looked, there were manuals on the Briggs site.

fisherman6
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Mark,

Is the water pumping problem new since yesterday? Hans is a great guy and will be helpful if you go to the lunch. If you cannot do that and need some help let me know. If you cannot get the cooling system working properly again, bring it back over and we’ll go through that too. I can make a video of my 15 horse Gale so you can compare the water flow and see how it looks compared to yours if you like. Just let me know and I’ll do it.
                  -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

markpatty72
                  Participant

Thank you for your questions.
                    The engine has not pumped water out the exhaust so I disassembled and checked the impeller. Seems ok. Didn’t check for any blockages which I will do next. Reassembled it and ran it in a large container of water making sure water intake holes were covered. Ran it for about 30 or 40 seconds. No water came out the exhaust. Stopped engine to prevent damage.
                    I also have gear oil coming out of a little hole on the lower right side of the foot. I had changed the foot oil. Can that be over filled? Plan to disassemble today.

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

omc universal magneto are extensively covered in this book and remember UTUBE is your friend … just query the subject

little hole is likely a drain for unburned oils and gas mix and carbon manure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga1Cjymj … e=youtu.be

http://162.144.28.33/lib/johnson/manual … on.html#/0

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

markpatty72
                      Participant

Disassembled foot. Checked the impeller. Looks brand new and is flexible. Checked for blockage below water pump. It’s all clear. Stopped working for our daily deluge. When it stops raining I will check for blockages above the water pump.
                        Turns out the little hole on the bottom right of the foot above the prop gearbox is a drain as Crosbyman stated. It drains from the Cavity next to the impeller pump. The cavity had a lot of oil goo in it. I am concerned the prop gearbox is leaking gear oil out of the brass insert where the shifter shaft passes through into the prop gearbox. The shaft is a little sloppy in the brass insert. Drained the prop gear box oil. There was no water beads or oil in it and No whiteish goo from oil and water mixing.
                        Any thoughts appreciated.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.