Home Forum Ask A Member 24:1 vs 50:1 in 64′ vs 65′ OMC engines

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    vtfireman85
    Participant

hey all,
      new to the forum, thanks for having me.

ive got several OMC motors, but the ones in question at the moment are a 62′ Johnson 28 hp, a 63 Evinrude speditwin 28hp and a 66′ evinrude skitwin 33 hp. i understand the old bushed crank shaft motors required a very thick oil mixture to prolong their life. my 57′ 3hp sea horse requires 16:1 mixture it is my understanding that the pre 65′ larger motors, like my 28s had roller bearings, and there were very little changes between engine design from 64-65. so my question is why the change in oil mixture? is it that OMC was reacting to pressure because Mercs were already using 50:1? were they experimenting with it pre 65′ and finally were satisfied it would work? was it the advent of better oil?
      i may try some biodegradable 2 stroke in my older models but i wondered what the thoughts were in using 50:1 in the earlier 60s motors?
      Seth

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I heard it Straight from an Evinrude engineer’s mouth. "We just found out that they didn’t need as much oil as we thought they did". Seriously, the change to 50:1 came with the introduction of Evinrude/Johnson 50:1 oil in 1964. Scott-Atwater was already marketing 100-1 at the time. So yes marketing pressure did have something to do with it. Somebody will correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Mercury 50:1 came later.

Yeah, you can run 50:1 TC-W3 in your 28-33hp motors. Somebody is sure to argue on that.

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

I think mercury 50-1 came first.

frankr
          Participant

US Member
            frankr
            Participant

US Member
              quote Dave Bernard:

I think mercury 50-1 came first.

I won’t argue that. But somebody back in the day advertised that their motors were built like a fine watch and needed more oil than those sloppily built OMC’s. I thought it was Merc.

Steve A W
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Our mission in this club is to preserve
                these historical motors.
                So why not treat them to a little more lubrication?
                Just my thoughts.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
                I live in Northwest Indiana

frankr
                Participant

US Member

I knew better than to get into an oil discussion, but did it anyway. Dang me!

RICHARD A. WHITE
                  Participant

Lifetime Member
                    quote FrankR:

Frank, I started to reply to this thread…5 times…… each time backspacing out of my reply…LOL

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                    classicomctools@gmail.com

cajuncook1
                    Participant
                      quote FrankR:

😀 Got your finger caught in the trap …. lol 😆

dave-bernard
                      Participant

US Member

OMC’s should not use 50-1 unless they have needle and ball bearings like a fine watch. FULL JEWLED.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.