Home Forum Ask A Member 24:1 vs 50:1 in 64′ vs 65′ OMC engines

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Steve D
    Participant

It’s unreasonable…and illogical…but I just don’t feel comfortable using 50:1 until maybe the late 60s early 70s. So sue me. 😎

jcrigan
      Participant

Back when I was a little kid it seemed like everybody saved their used crankcase oil for their 2 stroke motors. Chainsaws, boat motors, lawnmowers, etc. They would filter it through an oid sock first.

vtfireman85
        Participant

im on the fence here, about the whole thing. i am a huge fan of following manufacturers instructions, but when the instructions seem conflictory i dont know what to do.
          ill be absolutely blunt about my objections to the 24:1 however, i take this thing to a lake where it is as pristine as can be in the water, its so clean and so clear, largely because the people there strive to keep it that way and i get lots of flack when for 2 weeks im there there is a huge oil slick at the dock. my 50:1 18 HP doesn’t do that, i am thinking about switching to synthetic, and i want to try the biodegradable. but if the short answer was they simply didn’t need them and it took till 65 to figure it out, id go to say…40:1 i never did feel comfortable with an old motor without a little extra lube.

Steve D
          Participant

You should be fine with 50:1 on a 60s 18 HP, especially if you’re hearing it from neighbors on a pristine lake. It’s just my personal preference to run 24:1 on my motors. And my personal experience with Synthetic is that it does help with less of an oil slick.

chris-p
            Participant

You have to remember, they had to pick a year, so ’64 it was. Is there a difference between some ’63 and’64 motors? Well no.

Be educated about each PARTICULAR motor and run what is best based on that. I don’t own shares in BRP, but I am a big fan of their XD line of oil. Find they smoke very little, and leave almost no oil trail on the water.

Of course, it is up to us to ensure are motors are in good tune and not dumping excess oil.

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

OMC was necessarily cautious because some of the early "Super Synthetics" were not what they were cracked up to be. Dad made Lenard oil of Michigan an Evinrude distributor when they had to replace over 4000 outboards under there oil warrintee when they found there revolutionary synthetic 50 to 1 outboard special turned to super glue when mixed with a certain blend of Wisconsin gasoline. OMC did extensive testing before coming out with there own brand in ’65 . . . 😆

Randy in Tampa
                Participant

never heard of anyone killing a motor by putting to much oil but I have heard it for not enough 😉

rook49
                  Participant

My ’66 Model Johnson 3 hp has been running on a 50:1 mix since I inherited it from my uncle back in ’84. I figured the people that designed and built the motor knew more than the guy on the street which is why they put a label on the front of the motor that called for 50:1. When all else fails…read the directions.

wbeaton
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Personally, I think more energy should be spent discussing oil quality and less about mix ratios. I only use quality oil. Usually BRP in the large (10L?) container or Amsoil if I can get it. The BRP oil is $100 CAD per jug and worth every penny. Even at 12:1 it barely smokes. The cheap oil leaves a mess everywhere. On the water, in the air and on the motor. When I see all the unburnt gunk from the cheap oil I have to wonder why people buy it.

Wayne
                      Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

vtfireman85
                      Participant
                        quote wbeaton:

Personally, I think more energy should be spent discussing oil quality and less about mix ratios. I only use quality oil. Usually BRP in the large (10L?) container or Amsoil if I can get it. The BRP oil is $100 CAD per jug and worth every penny. Even at 12:1 it barely smokes. The cheap oil leaves a mess everywhere. On the water, in the air and on the motor. When I see all the unburnt gunk from the cheap oil I have to wonder why people buy it.

Is the BRP oil synthetic?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.