Home Forum Ask A Member 24:1 vs 50:1 in 64′ vs 65′ OMC engines

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member

BRP XD30 is a mineral oil, XD50 is synthetic blend and XD100 is pure synthetic.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

chris-p
      Participant

I run xd30 and love it

bobw
        Participant

US Member

I also run XD30 in my classic motors but use XD100 in my ETEC 150 on my bay boat. Thought about trying the XD100 in my classics because it produces zero smoke in my ETEC. Might smoke a little bit in the classic motors due to their lower burn efficiency.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Pete
          Participant

US Member

Isn’t XD100 an injector blended synthetic that has a lower viscosity base compared to higher vis oils for non injected engines? I prefer the higher vis base oils in the non injector you mix it 2 cycle engines like the old iron. I use the syn blend TCW3 oils like Mercury Premium Plus and Pennzoil XLF. If I was doing a lot of slow trolling and mid range rpm with occasional short term full tilt running 50:1 would be fine. If I was running at sustained full tilt most of the time I would be using the 24:1. More revs, more oil. "Oil is cheaper than parts" Jerry. Wienandt.

cajuncook1
            Participant

Wasn’t mineral oil used in a lot of the old racers?

dave-bernard
              Participant

US Member

castor oil in the alky motors.

cajuncook1
                Participant
                  quote Dave Bernard:

castor oil in the alky motors.

That’s right, thanks very much with the follow up Dave!

Cheers,

Cajun

dave-bernard
                  Participant

US Member

if left in the engine during storage ,it will lock them up tight. and difficult to free up.

larkbill
                    Participant

I caught the end of the alky burning motocross bikes, which all used either Klotz Green label or the rider was really competitive Gold label with a touch of nitromethane. Standard procedure was to pull the cylinder as soon as we got back to the shop and clean the rings with carb cleaner, lube with regular oil then reassemble for the next race. Some of the less careful just sprayed the carb cleaner in the sparkplug hole then followed with oil and kicked it over a bunch. But I also saw folks at the track trying to free up stuck pistons so…

vtfireman85
                      Participant

Thank you guys for the responses I hope to have my 66′ 33 hp ski twin back next week so I’ll be trying out the synthetics I’m excited to see how it pushes my 63′ lone star Malibu. The duratec with 18 hp was ok with 2 ppl for a light cruise but was seriously lackluster with more than that. Am hoping to be impressed. My 33 was deemed" tight and low houred" by Bob Johnson at old outboard heaven. I have plans to go through my 57’3 hp this winter so I’ll be here looking for advice, no doubt.
                        Seth

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 33 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.