Home Forum Ask A Member Mcculloch 4hp no start

Viewing 10 posts - 111 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    billw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

@joesnuffy. So if I understand you correctly, turn and pull the wire from the coil and it will come out? Then look to see if it is burned or whatnot? Do I just reverse steps to reinstall said wire into coil? Also what do i secure wire with?

Also I am not quite sure why my name hasn’t shown up red yet? Hmmmm.

I was a member since 1983 and I had to ask the website administrator to make it red. Once I did that, it was no problem. Done very quickly, once I asked.

Long live American manufacturing!

john8504
      Participant

Thanks Bill!

Going to get a new spark plug wire and try that route to see if I can get my spark to jump the 3/16 "

Attachments:

joesnuffy
        Participant

John,
          Most actual vintage techumseh coils the ignition wire is removable and replaceable. You know what a wood screw looks like their is a spike where the ignition wire goes into the coil right in the center that is what holds the wire inside the coil. Here is a video of how to replace ignition wires and what the spike looks like. I have replaced a lot of ignition wires on older outboard motors it almost always makes them run better if not it at least gives me piece of mind that the ignition wires are good and I’m not loosing spark through cracked wires. This is true especially when trying to figure out whats wrong. I normally buy a entire roll of the 7mm copper strand inside wire which lasts me a while but in your case you may just need a foot or 2 napa most likely sells copper strand ignition wire by the foot. Marine engine does sell it by the foot.

hope that helps,
          Joe
          Replace ignition wires outboard
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEg63iRdjH4

Ignition wire by the foot
          http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/pa … OMC0772584

john8504
          Participant

Yeah I ended up finding some at a local auto shop. Napa, advance auto and Autozone didn’t carry it. I was surprised.

john8504
            Participant

Eureka!!!!!!

I want to that everyone for their help! She runs!!! Nick Kramp emailed me and gave me a few more points. Turns out the lasts few problems were a spark plug wire, wire clip, and a weak magnet on the flywheel. The donor motor was worth its weight in gold!!!

Much thanks

bobw
              Participant

US Member

OUTSTANDING!! I’ve followed this thread since your original posting and know it’s been a frustrating process. That’s the great part about this forum – lots of folks who are willing to share their experiences and help solve a problem. I’m sure it was exciting when it finally fired off! How about posting a video of it running?

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                1954 Johnson CD-11
                1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                1958 Johnson QD-19
                1958 Johnson FD-12
                1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

john8504
                Participant

Sure will. I have to put the lower unit back on and get a tub of water for it

john8504
                  Participant

Now that it runs, anyone know how to get a big dent out of a gas tank?

bobw
                    Participant

US Member

Never done it myself but here’s an article I saw some time ago about removing dents by pressurizing the tank and applying heat around the dent to make it pop out. Obviously want to be sure the tank is totally clean of any fuel or fuel vapors.

https://conductorjonz.wordpress.com/201 … sea-horse/

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                      1954 Johnson CD-11
                      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                      1958 Johnson QD-19
                      1958 Johnson FD-12
                      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

joesnuffy
                      Participant

Congrats, That to me is the best feeling when you work on a motor that challenges you and when you finally get it right wow its terrific.

Joe 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 111 through 120 (of 133 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.