Home Forum Ask A Member Mcculloch 4hp no start

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    john8504
    Participant

I found a set on eBay new for a Scott Atwater for next to nothing. I think I’m going to try that and order the cap

john8504
      Participant

http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/whitepapers/mercotronic/files/assets/downloads/page0157.pdf

I found this site that gives the ranges for each condenser. I couldn’t find the 7270 but the 7157 was the same range and looks the same

Mumbles
        Participant

Lower right.

Attachments:

john8504
          Participant

Gotcha

Michael
            Participant

International Member

What color is your spark? If blue , good. If yellow, bad condenser

john8504
              Participant

So I acquired a Ted Williams that had bred sitting for 2 decades…same motor…and I stole the points and condensor off of it. Points were really clean and condensor seems better. I had no visible spark before and now I have very bright visible spark. I still can’t get it to pop off. I have new points and condensor coming from laings here in a few days. I’m going to try those and cross my fingers.

joesnuffy
                Participant

Someone mentioned it before about the exhaust possibly being restricted. When I was young I was given a moped 2 stroke. I worked and worked on it but it would not start. I had the exhaust pipe off of it and for some reason tried to start it and it started. Turned out the entire exhaust muffler was full of carbon. I hacked sawed it in to two pieces and removed all the carbon then had it brazed back together and it was fixed. Same thing happened to my lawn boy it would not start and the exhaust muffler which is under motor and mowing deck was full of carbon and it to would not start. Neither motor would as you say pop off and both had spark and fuel.

Since your waiting on points you might consider checking to make sure your exhaust is clear.

Hope that helps,
                  Joe

john8504
                  Participant

Ok I’ll check it out

john8504
                    Participant

do you have to pull the lower unit off to do this?

john8504
                      Participant

Exhaust had a little bit of build up but no restriction

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 133 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.