Home Forum Ask A Member Re: 1949 Johnson HD-25 Overhaul: A beginners perspective and guide for the compleat idiot

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    vwbusman66
    Participant

Hi all, I am a complete beginner with outboard motors, so bear with me. I, fortunately, am not a mechanical idiot and have a good idea of what I’m doing. I was out antiquing and have always wanted an older outboard, and my wish was granted! I know that it is from the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, but would like some help id’ing it. I will be going back tomorrow to look at the id tag. It has good compression and is complete, and the tank doesn’t smell like varnish.

James

chinewalker
      Participant

US Member

If I had to guess, it would be a late 1940s HD-25, 2.5hp, although it could be the bigger brother TD-20, 5hp. Hard to tell with those two pics. Model number would be on left side of the cylinder block, down low. Might have to remove lower cowling to see it.

vwbusman66
        Participant

What side would that be on in reference from behind. Would that be below the engine housing on the left? Also, where would you guys recommend buying parts from a good dealer with good service?
          James

vwbusman66
          Participant

And where would I find a service and shop manual for it?

chinewalker
            Participant

US Member

When referring to sides of a motor, it is always looking forward.

vwbusman66
              Participant

I guess I probably have about 50 questions. Who do I go to for parts? Where do I get a repair or parts manual? What are the starting procedures? Can someone point me to a thread or explain to me the best way to get it running? What would the ratio or fuel to oil be? 50:1, 24:1? I guess I just need a lot of different advice. How would I go about bench running it? I know I need a bucket of water and a mount.
                James

chris-p
                Participant

This is a good page for that motor to start with!

http://www.pochefamily.org/outboard/

steveh
                  Participant

US Member

Chinewalker is correct in that is either an HD-25 or TD-20. From the "flipper" style handles, it’s a 1948-1949. It’s missing the recoil plate on the top. The fuel mix on these motors is 16:1. The coils and condensers are usually OK on these motors. The points will need a good cleaning and will need to be reset. You’ll also want to change the water pump impeller. These are things you’ll want to do before you try to start the motor.

Don’t pay too much for that motor…there are a lot of them around. I wouldn’t pay more than $35 for it…and lots here will probably say that’s way too high…

vwbusman66
                    Participant

Ok, next really stupid question. What is the starting procedure? Do I just pull until I get it to fire, or do I somehow prime it?
                      Thanks for all of the really good advice and help. I was pretty lost prior to this.
                      James

steveh
                      Participant

US Member

VW, it’s quite likely going to need a carb rebuild or it will be leaking gas all over the place before you even try to start it. See the website Chris listed above. The carburetor has leather primer O-rings in it which are usually bad. The motor won’t prime if those are bad.

However, on the left side of the motor there will be a small L-shaped rod…it’s the low-speed carburetor needle. Open that up 5/8ths of a turn open from gently closed. On the right side of the motor will be a dial. Set that to about 3/4ths of a turn open from gently closed. Pushing down on that dial primes the motor. Without the recoil plate you’ll need to wrap a rope around the flywheel and pull.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 37 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.