Home Forum Ask A Member Re: 1949 Johnson HD-25 Overhaul: A beginners perspective and guide for the compleat idiot

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    vwbusman66
    Participant

I didn’t think I was supposed to have a recoil, because someone put a rope on it already. I had a feeling that the whole fuel system would need to be rebuilt. Is there anyone who makes the gasket kits or do I make those myself? Where do I find the impellers, points, and condensers? Just to confirm, this is a single cylinder, right?
      James

Steve A W
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

VWBusman66
        If You can work on a 66 VW bus, This outboard wont be bad at all.
        A good guy to talk to for parts is Doug Penn, He’ll go above and beyond to
        help find what You need!
        Here’s a link to His website; http://penn.itgo.com/
        There are a lot of suppliers on our links page off of the home page; http://aomci.org/
        Good Luck with Your motor.

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
        I live in Northwest Indiana

Mumbles
        Participant

Ken has a complete parts motor for 15 bucks.

http://kenadianoutboards.com/motors-for … and-stuff/

http://kenadianoutboards.com/

steveh
          Participant

US Member

It’s a twin-cylinder motor. Here’s one I did…paid $10 for it:

I know it sounds overwhelming, but these motors are easy to work on. I’m not a mechanic either, and the first motor I did was one just like this.

vwbusman66
            Participant
              quote SteveH:

It’s a twin-cylinder motor. Here’s one I did…paid $10 for it:

I know it sounds overwhelming, but these motors are easy to work on. I’m not a mechanic either, and the first motor I did was one just like this.

Is that a hd-25 or a td-20? Looks like a beautiful motor. Ill be p/ming you shortly.
              James

vwbusman66
              Participant

Also, what spark plugs should I use? Is there an autolite or other number? What are the points and plugs gapped to?
                James

vwbusman66
                Participant

Ok, just got back from the store, and, I bought it. Its a Johnson HD-25, 2.5 horsepower. By most standards, I over paid, but Im happy with it. It has superb compression, though, so that makes me happy and comfortable with the price.
                  I think I am going to rename this thread either "1949 Johnson HD-25 Revitalization: A beginners perspective" or "1949 Johnson HD-25 Overhaul: A beginners perspective and guide for the total fool". When I get home from my vacation, the real fun will begin, with my trying to see whats wrong and how to fix it.
                  For now, James

legendre
                  Participant

Check your PM, James.

reivertom
                    Participant

US Member

I’ll give you a good helpful hint…….get a digital camera and take photos as you tear down the motor. I do this especially on lower units and anything I need to put back like I found it. I lay the parts out in the order I remove them and take a photo in case I forget. I also have several of those magnetic trays to keep little parts in so when I get in a rhythm taking things apart I don’t lose anything.

vwbusman66
                      Participant
                        quote reivertom:

I’ll give you a good helpful hint…….get a digital camera and take photos as you tear down the motor. I do this especially on lower units and anything I need to put back like I found it. I lay the parts out in the order I remove them and take a photo in case I forget. I also have several of those magnetic trays to keep little parts in so when I get in a rhythm taking things apart I don’t lose anything.

Ive heard this from many people, and plan on following the process exactly. I don’t have any magnetic trays, but I work on ford 8n’s (tractors) and when I change the points, I usually get a new distributor cover and use those for cups.
                        James

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 37 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.